Chapter 38- Melon-eaters

Chapter 38

LINJIA VILLAGE

"Bo Lin, sent a secret message to the deputy leader of Rui Knights, used codes like I thought you all to avoid being found out by that fake person. We will start our journey back to the capital immediately." Tharn ordered as he laid down their other plans on how to attack the palace and rescue Imperial Consort Lin.

"Your Majesty, Bo Lin, I want to go with you! I have initial knowledge about medicine and probably can help you at all costs. I won't be a burden. Just give me a weapon. A dagger is enough." Lin Yu resolutely said.

Imperial Consort Lin's body was originally hers. She should not let anyone hurt him, specifically his family.

Bo Lin wanted to decline, but Tharn, who knows the truth, agreed.

"Let Miss Lin go with us."

That settled it. After the group prepared, they left Linjia Village to start travelling to the capital.

***

CAPITAL, FORBIDDEN CITY (Modern Beijing)

The market is flocked with countless people. Most of them are melon-eaters(1), expectators, and curious about what scene will unfold next in the feud of the Imperial family.

"Imperial Consort Lin and her families will be executed today!"

"I heard that the execution ground near the Forbidden Palace was prepared long ago, but the execution did not happen."

"I heard that His Majesty, the emperor, waited for Imperial Consort Lin to repent and apologise, but she was hard-headed. Never did she utter an apology."

"Why would she apologise if she did not do anything wrong at the first place?" A citizen blurted out, making everyone wonder.

He is one of the Rui knights who was tasked to stir up the people.

"Come to think of it, don't you feel suspicious that the emperor changed a lot? We all know that he doted on Imperial Consort Lin, and we all are aware that before Imperial Consort Lin came, she was a princess Consort of Siam, an in-law of Empress Han. She was not fit to be an Imperial Consort but the emperor fought against the ministers to promote her, given the affection that the emperor once bestowed her, isn't it ironic that he wanted to kill her now?"

Everyone who heard him went silent for a while.

"But rumours said that Imperial Consort Lin colluded with the Tang Sect, she hired assassins. Remember the winter banquet before that the emperor almost assassinated? It's the same woman who helped Imperial Consort Lin contact the Tang Sect."

The Rui knight dressed as a commoner squinted his eyes to the one who spoke.
Looks like he is not the only one playing as a commoner here.

"How does this gentleman know all these? Basically, it was all rumours."

The man who spoke took a step back in fear.
"Of course, it was all rumours. Besides, this was all according to the investigation of the Ministry of Justice."

"Then, looks like Imperial Consort Lin is done for."

"Let's go to the execution ground to have a look."

Everyone disperse, yet the question remains in their mind after being stirred up. Will the emperor really dare to punish Imperial Consort Lin.

***

After being held as a prisoner for more than a week, Type looked pale as a sheet of paper. He's wearing a pure white hanfu, and his long hair cascaded on his back. Aside from his sick look, He was still the dignified Imperial Consort.

Walking in front of the commoners to the execution ground, Type held his head high. No one saw fear in his eyes.

If Tharn will be late. Then they will see each other after they meet Meng Po(2) in Diyu(3) well... hopefully, before they drink the soup of forgetfulness.

"The prisoners have arrived!"

"Your Grace!" The people from the Lin and Chun family slowly kneeled in front of Type.

They look dishevelled as well, but they did not fear.

If death is their rest, then so be it. They would rather die than serve a scum of an emperor.

"I am sorry for all of these." Type said in his hoarse voice.

He failed to protect the real Consort Lin and his family.

He is such a failure and a disgrace to all transmigrators and time-travelers.

"Your Grace did not do anything wrong. Please be appeased." Master Lin looked at him lovingly. He was happy that they successfully escaped their fate back in Siam, and now, they faced another cruel fate, but there was no turning back.

This is the end.

"Start the execution!" The head guard ordered.

"The emperor has arrived!"

Everyone kneeled and praised him, making Tang Xie float in happiness.

"This emperor wants Imperial Consort Lin to be executed first."

Master Lin grovel on the ground and shouted, "Your Majesty! Let this old man die first, This commoner won't wish to see my child to be killed!"

"Master! This concubine will be beheaded first!"

"Father, I would like to die first."

Type let out a bitter smile. His family loved the real Consort Lin the most.

"This emperor wants Imperial Consort Lin's head. Proceed!" Tang Xie arrogantly said, he loves addressing himself as the emperor.

The guards dragged Type into the scaffolding where the guard held a shiny sword to be used for the execution.

"Do you have any words to say, Imperial Consort Lin?" He asked Type as he pushed him near the stone table.

Type looked around and sneered.

"Tang Xie! Kill me if you want, but I will die with your only son. The moment my head falls in this scaffolding, the head of your son will be delivered to you!"

The onlookers were shocked. Who is Tang Xie? They all know that the emperor’s name was Ling Jiwon.

Why does Imperial Consort Lin call His Majesty, Tang Xie?

Could it be?

***

References : Wikipedia

Please note that the Yuan Empire is in ancient China. Thus, they had a strong belief about reincarnation.

(1) melon-eater/eating melon

What is a melon eater?
people eating melon. It represents the onlookers' behaviour of Chinese netizens who are amused. online stories but do not intend to offer any meaningful comments.

(2)

Meng Po (Chinese: 孟婆; pinyin: Mèng Pó; Wade–Giles: Meng-p'o; lit. 'Old Lady Meng') is the goddess of forgetfulness in Chinese mythology, who serves Meng Po Soup on the Bridge of Forgetfulness or Naihe Bridge (Chinese: 奈何桥; pinyin: Nàihé qiáo). This soup wipes the memory of the person so they can reincarnate into the next life without the burdens of the previous life. She awaits the dead souls at the entrance of the 9th round Fengdu (Chinese: 丰都; pinyin: fēng dū

(3)
Diyu (simplified Chinese: 地狱; traditional Chinese: 地獄; pinyin: dìyù; lit. 'earth prison') is the realm of the dead or "hell" in Chinese mythology. It is loosely based on a combination of the Buddhist concept of Naraka, traditional Chinese beliefs about the afterlife, and a variety of popular expansions and reinterpretations of these two traditions. The concept parallels purgatory in certain Christian denominations.