Memories

A couple days later I decided to go back to the cities alone to visit my mom, she wasn't doing too well and I needed to be there for her. I was making her breakfast in bed, some soft thick buttery pancakes, hashbrowns her favorite and some strawberries on the side. I finished setting the tray up and carried it to her bedroom, she now was starting to lose practically all her hair, I feel extremely bad because I know how much her hair means to her. I knocked on the door and walked in as she sat up.

"Here you go mama." I set the down on the side table.

"Thank you my love."

I handed her a glass of water, I watched as she swallowed down her pills.

"Is there anything you need to go with it?"

"No this is perfect."

"Okay." I forced a smile.

"Do you know if your brother is going to come visit anytime soon? I haven't heard from him lately."

"I'm not sure.. everyone is pretty busy back at base. There's a lot of missions to do, I was lucky enough to convince Price to let me visit for a few days."

"oh." She sighed.

"I know mama, don't worry, he'll come soon." I kissed her head and went back to the door.

"If you need anything just holler." I closed the door leaving a crack open enough to hear in case.

I went back to the kitchen and finished cleaning and washing the dishes. I looked on the counter and picked up the birthday card my dad gave me before he went to work this morning.
I opened the card and started reading it.

--- Happy 23rd birthday!!! My baby girl is growing up way too fast, you need to slow down. I love you so so much, my perfect daughter. ---

--- Happy birthday Y/N, you've done such a good job getting this far in life. Both you and your brother have grown up so fast, time flies by faster than I anticipated. Love Dad. ---

I smiled and traced my finger over the big 3D heart at the top.

Suddenly the doorbell rang, I set the card down and took my hair out of it's ponytail. I rushed to the door and opened it, there stood an older lady holding a gift basket.

"Yes?" I asked

"Is Marceline here?"

"Yes but she's in bed at the moment."

"Oh! Okay."

"I'm her daughter, is there something I can do for you?"

"You must be Y/N! She talks lots about you, oh sorry here, this is for your mother."

She handed me the gift basket, I took it and smiled.

"Thank you, she will appreciate this a lot."

"Let her know it's from Jamie."

"Will do."

The lady turned around and left, I closed the door and looked at the gift basket, there were some nice treats and flowers. I smelt the flowers as I carried them to her bedroom.

"Mom, this is from Jamie."

I set it on the bed next to her as she ate her food.

"Oh wow!! Jamie, yes! What a wonderful lady she is."

"Is she a friend?"

"Yes. She is one of the lady's I go to church with."

"Seems nice."

"Here, I am full."

I took the tray out of her hands and she started examining the gift basket, I left her room back to the kitchen and cleaned off her plate. After I finished cleaning the entire kitchen I slumped down on the couch and turned on Netflix, my phone dinged. I picked up my phone and looked at the notification 'My Love', I swiped up and looked at his text.

'When will you be back?'

'I don't know yet. She's quite sick and I want to spend time with her.'

'I get that, it's boring here without you. Price is sending us on another mission tonight.'

'Stay safe please.'

'Always do, love you babe.'

'love you too.' I responded and turned off my phone.

I went back to Netflix and watched a new show for a little bit. After an hour or so I heard the water start running in the bathroom, I stood up and walked down the hall and peaked in the bathroom to see my mom sitting on the edge of the bathtub.

"Hey, you okay?" I entered the bathroom and closed the door.

"Yeah I just wanted to take a bath, I thought maybe I was hungry and after eating my stomach would feel better but it doesn't."

"Okay."

"Do you mind helping me?"

"Of course."

She undressed and got in the tub as the water continued to fill up. I took the scrubby and poured a little bit of body wash on it, I started washing her back.

"This brings me so many memories from when you were little."

"Yeah it does." I giggled

When I was little I for some reason loved helping my mom bathe, I would always peak in and ask if I could wash her back for her. We had a different type of bond than most mom and daughter's would.

"I remember that one time when you put your bath paint in the bathtub when I was bathing." She started laughing and I laughed at the memory.

"Oh goodness, it got everywhere."

"It did, thank god it was meant for baths otherwise I would have been a smurf."

"Those were the good times." I smiled, I rinsed the soap off her back with a rag.

"I wish Jocelyn was still here to experience you growing up."

I set the rag on the side of the tub and rested my head on the rim while my mom patted my head.

"Me too mom, me too."

"She would have been so proud."

"I think I would have been more proud of her, I know she would have done so much better than me."

"You were a good remodel."

We sat there in silence while she finished rinsing off.

"Will you be okay finishing?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'm gonna go to the bakery and see Lizzy for a little bit."

"Okay hun."

"If you need anything call me okay?"

"I will."

"I love you mom."

"I love you too."

I left the bathroom and grabbed my keys off the counter, I slipped my shoes on and left the house locking the door behind me.