Chapter 4

Ashford Pov

I smiled as Mickey and Makay were doted on by everyone in the kingdom and the people that loved them. We had the party outside under a large wooden gazebo with white lights and white breezy material flowing from the poles.

Their grandfather had Makay wrapped in his arms as they danced. Swaying back and forth to the music.

I have never seen a family so loving. I saw my grandfather and smiled at him but he turned his back to me. Tears wanted to come to my eyes but I held them in. I understand his anger for what my mother did. She caused a war that got thousands killed and she betrayed her kingdom and king for pride, selfishness and vanity.

Everyone thought that we would be that way. They watched us with trepidation our first several years here. Even the king didn't want us here at first. But we grew on him and everyone else. All except for my blood family. Declan tells me all the time that they don't deserve us if they can't see past their hate and anger. The king and queen wanted to step in but we told them not to. I won't force them.

My heart starts to pound in my chest when I see a bunch of females of all different species start throwing themselves at Mickey. I know it's not right to ask him to be faithful to me. We don't know if we are mates. But I get a little aggravated that he can do it but will kill any male that tries to talk to me. I decided long ago to stop taking male callers because days after they would come up missing or left Aelasar all together. I was sick of it all. One day I got bold. I wanted to know if Mickey and I were mates. I decided to have sex with him. It didn't feel wrong per se. It just felt off, like something was missing. He became angry that I couldn't explain myself and I couldn't. I didn't know how to put what I was feeling into words.

That's why I love Mickey dearly. He's very understanding like his mother. If you ask me. Makay is more like her father than any of them. She's just better at hiding it. She's very domineering and possessive. But Mickey definitely takes after his father in many ways. He has a mean streak a mile long if you cross him.

I snapped from my thoughts when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I'm surprised when I see that it's male that I've never seen before. He must be with some of the guests from the party that we invited.

"I'm sorry. I can't help but to be mesmerized by your beautiful skin."

My mom was a pale white elf. But my father was a dark complexion witch. Not dark as the queen but pretty dark. He was the last of his kind so no one knows where he came from. My father joined a group of witches in The Outlands. That's where he met my mother. So my brother and I have a complexion that startles many. Right up there with Makay. She has both her parents' complexion. It's very beautiful.

"Thank you." I blushed. I will tell him to leave me in a minute. But for now I want his conversation. I get so lonely sometimes. I have no one to talk to. The men are always in The Outlands fighting. Makay is running the palace with her mom. Sometimes I feel left out. Like I have no purpose. Mickey doesn't let me do anything.

"What's your name, beautiful."

"Ashford."

"Are you from around here, Ashford?"

"Yes, and you."

"No, I'm here tonight with my sister. She's mated to an elf. I'm from the south, the mermen."

I raised a brow and looked down at his feet. He has legs.

He chuckled. "Some of us can change from fins to legs."

"Oh, that's so fascinating. Do you have gills as well?"

He turned his head so I could see his gills. He made them flap a little. I giggled.