Chapter 5

Ashford Pov

I smiled at the servant that brought Makay and I tea. Makay is back to ranting about her parents leaving. We can't understand. And of course with Makay and the way she is, she thinks it's an oversight on her personally. Makay is very humble but she acts very spoiled sometimes. I personally blame the men in her life for doting on her. Speaking of the men in her life. I smiled as I remembered last night.

I finally feel that Mickey and I are moving forward. I snapped from my thoughts with Makay's frustrated scream. Even though I'm trying to keep her calm I feel the same way. The King and Queen of Aelasar took my brother and me in at the behest of my Uncle Shine and they have been there for us every step of the way. I've never been treated differently from Makay and Declan has never been treated differently from Mickey. So it is a little odd that they would leave us to our own devices. The king is so weak against Makay and I that he avoids us sometimes because he can never tell us no. Makay has never heard the word no. She's a princess through and through. Every male spoils her. Her father, her Uncle Cain, but Mickey is the worst; he spoils Makay to no end.

"Ashford, what are we going to do?"

"Declan's Warlock won't come for some time. Hopefully he and your Uncle Cain and the others can help. The priestess knows how to handle them."

Before she could respond we heard noise at the front of the palace.

We ran to the front of the palace. When we made it, Mickey was there with a woman. A human woman.

"Who is this, Mickey," Makay asked.

But he remained silent. His face looked like it was in such turmoil before he blanked his expression. He wouldn't even look me in the eye.

"Mickey," I said softly.

Makay got a look of concentration on her face and I could tell she was trying to read his mind through their link.

"Makay, don't," Mickey growled so loudly that Makay and I jumped.

But Makay read enough to step back with horror on her face. "She's your Mate."

Three words. Three words. Three words. Three little words shattered my universe into pieces.

Tears came to my eyes. I've always loved Mickey and I promised him I would stick by him. But this, this is.... I don't know how I feel about this.

He called for servants and Delcan.

"This is Mila. Take her to a room that's close to mine."

He finally looked at me then walked off calling for Declan again. "Someone contact my grandmother now. Now, fucking, now."

"Mickey, can we please talk."

"Not now, Ashford."

Pain filled my chest. I guess this is how it starts. He always said he had reservations about him and me not being mates. I've alway felt like he was my mate though. I just thought the connection would be stronger when his warlock came. Even though his warlock is scary I felt he was the missing piece to our puzzle and so did Mickey. So this is very confusing. But I promised him I would stay until he orders me away.

I looked over at Makay. She had tears in her eyes. "What if Declan and I aren't mates. What would we do, Ashford?"

I ran to her and hugged her.

"Makay, listen to me. We have to be strong now. Your brother and my brother will need us. We didn't stay with them because they could possibly be our mates. We stayed because we love them and that won't change because of the current circumstances."