Chapter 25

Makay Pov

I groaned and wiped the blood from my nose. "Again," Gran shouted.

I groaned again. "Gran, I can't do this."

"Yes, you can."

"Why do I have to do this anyway?"

"Because I won't be around forever. Someone has to take over. You're the strongest female on this planet and you have invoked the spirit with blood and still live. The Goddess has favored my decision."

I walked to her and grabbed her hand. "You're not going anywhere are you Gran."

She looked sad. "No one lives forever, muffin."

I couldn't help but feel that she wasn't telling me something. "I love you, Gran."

She kissed me on the forehead. "I love you too. Always remember that. And I'll always be here for you, watching over you all."

I was going to say something else, but she got the grandma face. That face that says she's done talking.

"Again. Your nose is bleeding because you are still seeing yourself as an elf. You need to rethink your mind set. Don't reject it. Let it take over you. It might feel overwhelming at first. It's foreign, so your instinct is to fight. But don't."

Gran and I have been going at this for a while now and I'm tired. I'm not like her. I can't do this job. My personal opinions will always get in the way. People are idiots and I have no problem telling them so. My patience is terrible, and I don't suffer fools. I've asked granny over and over if she had the right person for this. I'm trying. I really am, but I don't think I'm cut out for this. It's hard. Granny said not to tell anyone anything. So Declan is super angry with me right now. He's doubting me and the whole relationship and a pissed off Declan doesn't bode well for anyone, especially if his warlock comes out. I've told him over and over that I'm doing something with Gran and the fact that he doesn't believe me after all this time of knowing me hurts.

Once again, I tried to be one with everything. Feel all the beings around me. I tried to draw in all the powers of the Goddess. This is where it gets painful for me. My head feels like it's about to crack open. I stopped and wiped blood from my nose. "Can we take a break, granny? Please. I want to see Declan."

"Sure, but I'll let you go with this. Don't give up. You are trying to mimic me. You're trying to do what you think I would do, and you can't do that. This planet has evolved since I've been the messenger of the Goddess. Time has changed. This planet needs you and your modern ways of handling things. Do not doubt that. Do you remember how it felt when you saved those people in The Outlands? You felt like you really made a difference. Being a messenger of the Goddess is the same way. Your main objective is to leave any and everything better than how you found it and that can happen with small changes. It doesn't have to be on a global scale. You can do it sweetheart. You've been doubting yourself, but please don't doubt me. I know what I'm doing."

I giggled. "No doubt. Thanks for that granny. I won't let you down."

"I know puddin. Now off you go."

I disappeared then reappeared in The Outlands. I made my way to the front of the castle that Declan is residing in. When I made it to the front, I saw him talking to a female. My first instinct was to become possessive. But granny's voice came to me.

"Oh Goddess, I will be saying old people's words soon and being understanding," I mumbled to myself.

Declan heard me and turned his head. When he saw me his eyes turned black. He rushed me.

"Damn it."

He grabbed me. My world went black. We reappeared in the middle of a clearing.

"Where the fuck have you been," he growled.