Chapter 9

Mila Pov

By noon. I was literally out of my head with boredom. What the devil do these people do all day. It seems like everyone is avoiding me. The servants. Ashford. Where the devil is the king and queen. I knitted, boring. I tried to cook, boring. I decided to try to be more like Ashford. I went out into the city. I smiled. I showed empathy and sympathy. It was exhausting after about an hour of it.

When I saw Traja coming down the hall I smiled and ran up to him. "Hi Traja."

"Who are you?" I was hard pressed to keep the smile on my face. "I'm Mila. I'm Mickey's second mate."

"Huh, you don't say. I guess he didn't use his vampire nose to smell you. You smell off."

Why does everyone keep saying that? They keep saying my aura or something about me is off. I lifted my arm and smelled myself.

"I'm not talking about your physical smell. I'm talking about your internal smell. If I bit you right now, I'll probably get sick from the foulness."

I backed away. A little fearful. I cursed. If he doesn't trust me because of a smell then he will never leave with me. How am I supposed to trick him to the end of the city?

Suddenly, he sniffed the air then smiled. I followed his eyes. A beautiful male was being led in. He's just as beautiful as my brother. I turned my lip up. The beautiful man snatched his arms from the servant's grasp.

Traja smiled with his fangs when the man was led to him.

"I'm not at your beck and call, Traja. I'm busy. What is it?" The male was trying to put on an air of indifference but even a blind person could see that he missed Traja.

Traja threw his head back and laughed. "Not tired of being the recalcitrant mate, Mencini."

The male glared at Traja. "I heard you were hurt. Which would have never happened if you would have stayed put."

Traja winced. "I agree. Nothing wounds your pride more than getting struck by lightning by a person you helped rear."

I wonder who he was referring to. When he winced, Mencini hurriedly put his wrist up to Traja's mouth. "Here, you big oaf."

As I look at the mated couple I see that Traja is pretty huge. His mate is no more than 5 '9 whereas Traja is at least 6' 2 and wide. Very wide. He folded his mate in his arms as he drank. Seconds later he pulled back and licked Mencini's wrist.

The guy looked at me. Even he looked at me warily. I'm sick of it. "Who's this?"

"She's Mickey's second mate. What's your name?"

"I'm Mila."

"You're not...."

"Let that go, Mencini. This is about them growing up. I've already tried to help once and sorely regretted it."

He pulled the shorter male to him and kissed him deeply. Lust quickly built in his eyes. "I've missed you." He breathed against the man's lips. He grabbed the male's hand and led him away.

"Wait, Traja. I wanted to show you something on the outskirts."

"Later," he said, distractedly.

And I had to admit to myself that I wanted that. I wanted to be loved. I don't know when I became this person. I think the hope of living forever has tarnished me. I wanted it so badly. I don't want to die. Another thing. Since Mickey and I are mates, won't I live a long time now. But the bonding ropes won't mate us as long as I have these secrets. Damn it. What a double edge sword. At last, I feel that I'm in too deep. I see no way out. Rayce would kill me if I tried to back out now Come to think of it. There are three elves that are mated to vampires in the north part of the city. I need to go to Rayce to get the dead man's blood to weaken the vamps. Phase one is almost implemented. Phase two. We take over. I would love nothing more than to live forever, but living forever while ruling a kingdom sounds even better.