Chapter 26

Shane Pov

I was in my shop working like a mad man. I haven't been out in days. Whenever someone would come to the door, I would simply tell them I'm working. I can tell I've hurt Ashford while closing myself off. I continue to think and work. Mickey showed us that diplomacy is hopeless unless he wants it. His powers are unmatched, and we still don't know what all he can do. I don't even think he knows. Nothing wounds your pride more than someone literally showing you that you have no free will. That you have whatever they give you.

I threw a piece of metal across the room in a fit of rage. What's even worse. I know I'm getting this reprieve because Mickey is busy with his dad about the impending threat. Otherwise, I would probably be bent over doing whatever he wants.

"Shane." It was Ashford.

I remained silent. I'm no good for her. She deserves someone who can protect her from him. She's strong though. She has put up with Mickey's shit for a long time and hasn't gone insane. Me on the other hand, is about to lose it. Probably because from the beginning Mickey controlled her. But I've had 33 planet cycles of free will.

"Shane, please don't do this."

A sharp pain hit my chest. It was very sharp and painful. I grabbed my chest and doubled over.

I ran to the door and threw it open. Ashford was there looking very hurt. She had tears in her eyes. I pulled her to me. She cried against my chest. I cursed. I've been selfish. I haven't thought about how she must feel.

"I'm sorry, Ashford. I'm an ass. A selfish ass."

"It's ok."

I grabbed her shoulders and stared hard at her. "It's not okay, Ashford. Stop letting people treat you like this. Even us, your loved ones. If you have a problem with something, you need to let your voice be heard."

"But that would hurt their feelings."

I know it would hurt. I felt her pain and it hurt like hell. Come to think of it. I've never felt pain or anything from Mickey. Does the demon even have feelings?

"The truth hurts, Ashford. Doesn't mean it doesn't need to be said."

"Now let me have it. Tell me how I made you feel."

She hesitated.

"Come on. Bring it all out."

"Well, you're a jerk."

"Ok," I nodded. "What else?"

"You left me alone for days. How could you? You-you said you would always be there for me, that you would be nice to me and not hurt me. And instead of keeping your word you hide in here like a coward." She gasped and covered her mouth.

"You're right, Ashford. I'm sorry. You deserved better. Instead of hiding like a coward I should have been there for you."

She raised her chin. "Yes, you should have."

I smiled. "I love you. You're perfect."

She beamed.

"Ashford, have you ever felt any feelings from Mickey? You seem to know when I'm in pain. I feel it when you're in pain. But I haven't felt anything from him. Does he even feel?"

"Oh, he definitely feels things. He's angry all the time. I don't feel it. I see it. But other than that, no, I haven't. Strange," she stated.

"But he definitely feels our feelings so you might want to brace yourself."

As soon as she said that Mickey appeared. His eyes held indifference with a tinge of anger.

He looked at Ashford. "Why are you in pain?"