Chapter 33

Mickey Pov

I stood ramrod straight and stared ahead. I looked over at the crowd. My mates were smiling happily at me. Makay was there with adoration in her eyes. I looked towards the back and saw two spirits floating and chuckled. Gran will always be a rule breaker, especially when it comes to her family. I stared out over Aelasar. I'm very proud of what we've built and what Aelasar has become.

It got quiet when my father and mother walked in. My mother was holding my father's hand as he walked slowly with a cane.

The palace speaker said, "I give you the king and queen of Aelasar." Everyone stood up and clapped, whistled and smiled.

They started yelling, champion! champion! champion! to my father. He chuckled and waved. My father is the greatest champion that ever lived. As he made his way down the aisle to me, I felt proud to be his son. Chaos purred in contentment. My father is powerful and formidable, Chaos respects that.

My father came to me and patted my shoulder. My mother, ever the emotional one, brought my forehead down to hers and kissed me. She smiled then stood beside my father.

I smiled with pride as Makay stood up and spoke the words of a true messenger. When she was done, she grabbed my father's hand and mine and we formed a trifecta. She spoke more words in the language of the gods. When she was done, she had my father and I join hands, blessing the union. Before she could step back, my father hugged and kissed her. He smiled down at her proudly.

She said more words. Then my father removed his crown and placed it on my head. Transferring his kingdom over to me.

Makay's voice boomed when she said, "Your new king. Mickey of Aelasar." Everyone cheered and clapped.

Afterwards we had supper. My father was still at the head of the table. I didn't want to sit in the seat yet. Plus, it was the only seat that could hold him. My father is huge in stature and with his leg not fully functioning, this is the most comfortable chair for him. I vowed that when I received my successor's powers I'm going to heal my father's leg. Completely.

I cleared my throat. My father and mother looked at me. I told them about the goddess and what I'll have to do when I die.

"Mickey of Aelasar, why would you do such a thing?" My mother had tears in her eyes. She placed her hand over her mouth with worry.

"He was protecting Makay, my love."

"Oh," she said and sat down. For the first time she really looked like she wanted to hit me and I'm sure that isn't a fight I would win. If she takes away my powers that would leave me with only hand to hand and my mother is the best of the best at that and all kinds of weapons. My father didn't want her to learn at first. Then he realized that threats will come from all sides and most underestimate my mother because she's soft spoken and tiny. We haven't really tested if she can take my warlock powers yet, though. I'm sure Chaos would love to test that theory but I will not allow it. I love my mother too much and my life's mission has been to make her happy. A mission I know I've failed at often. I know that.

I sat back in my chair just in case she was still thinking about hitting me. Surprisingly, Chaos is always calm around my mother, so I'm sure it wouldn't be any problem if she did. My mother is the one being that I would let murder me and not even try to protect myself from. I would never raise a hand to my mother. The same couldn't be said for her though. I looked at her face and chuckled. She looked about ready to do away with Makay and I both.

"Mom, without the goddess, our lineage wouldn't exist. She showed me her story. It wasn't pretty. She sacrificed a lot so that we could be here." I looked at my father. "She fell in love with a warlock and hid the child away after her father killed the warlock."