42. An international spy

Connor POV:

"I'm seconds away from throwing my phone through the front window." Cass groaned frowning as her phone vibrated with yet another notification.

Cass, my favorite and really the only coworker I could stand, seemed to be having nonstop relationship problems. I didn't know if whatever she had going on could be considered a relationship but either way she was having problems. I didn't mind listening to her many complaints.

"That seems overkill, just tell the guy you want to end things." I suggested.

"He should get the hint since I haven't answered any of his texts."

"You can't ghost the guy just because he made you drop him off at his work at ten am instead of having you drop him off at home."

"It seems sketchy right? He doesn't have any ID, he's vague with everything he tells me and now he won't let me just drive him home. He wanted to try to say he has feelings for me but I don't even know his last name or how old he is. What if he's like some international spy?" She rambled.

"A spy? Really?" I raised my eyebrows in question.

"Actually a spy would be kinda cool. I'd totally date a spy." She looked down at her phone seeming to rethink things. "I should text him."

"I thought you were done?"

"I am but I should ask if he's a spy just to make sure before I call it quits." I watched as her fingers danced across the screen.

I didn't know why I was even surprised at this point. Cass seemed to walk to her own beat. She did what she wanted and everyone around her was just swept up into the storm of hers. I had found to appreciate the wildness of her, it made work a lot easier to get through.

"Ugh he said no." She pouted.

"Does this mean you're actually going to break up with him?" I questioned.

"Yeah I just told him I only date spies, maybe it'll inspire him to get more interesting." She tucked her phone away with a smile on her face.

Only Cass.

"I think I might know why you're still single." I muttered.

She chuckled obviously having heard my words.

"Just waiting on you Connie," She winked playfully.

"Don't hold your breath on that one, I'm very taken."

Even if Jetson and I weren't official there was a promise there. It wasn't a maybe one day, it was whenever I was ready for it. We were a sure thing and even without the label I was his completely.

After a long shift I was ready to get back home. Jet had to go back to campus late last night for an early morning class but he should be back by now. I'd missed him more than I thought I would. It had been hard sleeping without him next to me.

Somehow I'd done it all this time but now that I was used to having him curled up next to me I didn't think I could ever go without it. The more time we spent together the more addicted I got to the boy.

It was hard to go even a second without at least thinking of him. Every inch of my house was filled with him, memories of our weeks together. I'd never escape him and I never wanted to.

"Connor O'Brien?" A female voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

I turned to see a women I didn't recognize looking at me with a pleasant smile. I felt a wave of unease wash over me. I wasn't good with strangers, especially ones that knew my name. I didn't know what she wanted and that put me on edge.

"Yeah?" I eyed her.

"Hi I'm Diana Aitken, I'm a writer for the local paper." She introduced.

A journalist, one that wanted to talk to me. All the possibilities circled my head and I let my brain settle of the worst ones. Headlines that screamed about a kid lying to take down town hero. Articles that painted me as the villain instead of a victim.

I felt the need to run but instead I stayed right where I was standing in the parking lot. If there was a small chance of this being a good thing I needed to hear her out.

"What do you want?" I didn't mean to sound as hostile and guarded as I did but I felt like I was right back in the police station, the principal's office.

"I had a tip about a story, your story. I got my hands on your police report and I know that they brushed it under the rug. I want to publish it, I want to get a statement from you. The people, the parents, need to know the truth."

Her words didn't seem real. I'd been trying to tell my story, to get someone to believe me. To find anyone who would listen just so something would be done. I'd been sick of letting my abuser walk around like nothing had happened. I'd tried and failed. I was ready to just give up.

But fate didn't go that way. Now I had someone right in front of me ready to tell my story. Someone who finally believed me over him.

"What makes you think anyone will believe me?" I asked not wanting to go through the hope only to have it crushed again.

"Because it's not just you."

Those five words were enough to ruin me.

All this time I'd known deep down it wasn't just me. I'd known that I wasn't the only one but I never let myself go there. I'd run and said nothing, I left knowing that once I did it could just happen to whoever he laid his eyes on next.

Almost four years I had been free but kept my mouth shut. Four years of time where he could've been hurting someone else. Every finger he laid on another person in that time was on me. That blood was on my hands.

"Someone else came forward?" I asked in disbelief.

"I did my own research, talked to some graduated players and finally found someone willing to talk. They want their name to stay out of the article but have agreed to do an interview and tell their story. The people can try to ignore one voice but it's a lot harder when there's two."

So many thoughts swirled around in my head. This was the opportunity I'd been waiting for but something was making me pause. After so much fighting I didn't know if I was ready for this.

It seemed too easy. I hadn't even done anything to get here. Diana, this reporter was doing it all for me. All I had to do was tell my story, share all the horrors one last time.

All I could feel was a sense of unease at the whole thing. An article, it could be everything I needed. If parents read and believed me then that might be the push I needed to get him fired. If players, current or past, read it someone could come forward and validate my story. I could finally get some proof and with proof I could get him put in jail and off the streets.

One article and it could mean he wouldn't hurt anyone ever again.

"I'm not going to force you to be a part of this article, I don't need to write your story but I'd really like to." She told me after a beat of silence on my part. "Here's my card, call me when you make a decision."

I took her card and tucked it in my pocket.

One decision could change everything.

A/n:

I've been under a lot of stress and my anxiety is honestly just super bad. I'm back at work and I think a lot of my mental health struggles have come from my job. I don't think any job is worth that so I'm considering quitting and doing something else. It's honestly a real tough job and the environment I'm working in its great. I knew it wasn't a long term spot for me but I thought I'd be able to push through a little longer than I have.

Anyways sorry for a little personal dump there. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

-Cora Leigh