48. Hit on me

Connors pov:

It had felt like a lifetime. As I drove closer to my old campus it felt like forever ago that I was living in that house.

I knew it hadn't been that long but so much had changed. I wasn't that drunken idiot running from my past. I was sober and I couldn't remember a time I was ever sober while living in that house. So much had happened but still I was excited to go back.

I was excited to see Jetson but it wasn't just that. My roommates, my friends. It'd been awhile and it was going to be nice to see them all again. We'd texted and I had tried to keep up with the group chat but I knew I could've done better during my time away.

I should've done better and I had just hoped they'd forgive me for it all.

That was the only reason I was nervous as I pulled into the driveway. I knew there was a possibility they told me to fuck off.

Not that I thought they would.

But there was still a chance. Even if it was a small chance, it wasn't zero.

"Connor!" I had barely had the time to close my car door before I heard the yell.

I turned just in time as a body collided with my own.

"Hi Dom." I smiled as my friend pulled me into a hug.

"I missed you." He pulled away to look me over. "You're looking good."

"Trying to hit on me?" I teased.

"You wish." He laughed throwing his arms around me in another hug.

"Don't expect me to greet you the same way."

As if my smile couldn't get larger. I pulled away from Dom to see Nico frowning at the two of us.

"Come on Nico I know you want a hug." I spread my arms out as an invitation.

"Fuck off." He shook his head at me.

I didn't let my arms down, I knew it was only a matter of time before he caved. Nico wanted to hug me so bad.

"I hate you." He walked over and let me pull him into a hug.

"I missed you too Nico." And I did.

Nico had been the one person to stick by my side. He'd gotten me where I was today. If it hadn't been for him I'd be drunk somewhere letting myself drown even more. Without him I wouldn't have Jetson in my life.

I didn't know how to thank Nico for everything he'd done for me.

"I have an extra ticket to graduation if you want it. I know Sasha would appreciate having someone to hang out with." Nico offered.

I could read between the lines. Nico wanted me there and not just for Sasha. I'd happily hang out with Sasha any time of the day but this was Nicos day and he wanted me there to support him.

I would never say no to that.

"You know I'll never say no to seeing my girl Sasha." I winked.

I had fun riling Nico up and nothing riled him up more than flirting with his girlfriend.

"Never mind I'm giving my ticket to someone else." He grumbled.

I just laughed knowing he wasn't being serious. It was nice to fall right back into it with my roommates. I knew there was no reason to be nervous that now I was sober things would be different. If anything was different it was for the better. Without alcohol numbing my brain I was finally able to be a good friend to them all.

That thought was the reason I ended up in front of Adams door. Nico had told me he was here and I knew he wouldn't be the one to approach me. I only got lucky once, this wouldn't go as easily as it did with Reid.

I knocked on his bedroom door and it only took a few seconds for Adam to whip the door open with a frown on his face. That wasn't an uncommon appearance. He seemed to frown a lot so I didn't take the grouchy look personally even though a least some of it was personal.

"Oh." He stepped back slightly surprised to see me.

"I was hoping we could talk." I said.

There was so much I needed to say. A lot of apologies. I didn't even really know where to start.

Adam didn't jump at the offer. He stared at me for a few seconds and I was half expecting him to decide to slam the door right back into my face. I wouldn't have blamed him if he did.

"Yeah sure." He nodded stepping aside letting me into his room.

I wasn't going to let him regret this. I knew he probably regretted all the chances he had already given me over the years but this one I'd make worth it. I was done fucking everything up. 

"I'm really sorry Adam, I should have said this a long time ago. During freshman year you were one of the only people there for me and I never got to thank you for that. I never should have treated you the way I did."

Our friendship had gone through a lot and he'd forgiven me for a lot over the years. But there was only so much one person could take and when Adam walked away I couldn't even blame him. It had been all me. I'd pushed too hard.

"I know I should forgive you. I know you sitting here sober should be proof enough of you trying to change and make amends. I know everyone else just moved on because all those insults and broken promises were your addiction. I'm trying to get past it, I'm really trying." He said.

"You don't have to forgive me just because I went to rehab and said I'm sorry. You don't have to forgive me just because someone else has. If you aren't ready to be friends again then that's fine. I want to try to make it up to you, to show that I'm not that guy anymore. I want you to forgive me because you believe it. There's not a timeline on forgiveness Adam so take as much time as you need."

I wanted him to be able to forgive me, to tell me we could be friends again. I wanted that but I only wanted it if he meant it. If he needed time then I'd give him time.

"I really want to forgive you but I just don't think I'm ready."

"And that's okay, I was a real dick to you. I said things I wish I could take back and I want you to know that I'm really sorry for that. I wish I could go back and change a lot but I can't. If you need time then take it."

"Thanks for coming and apologizing and all that. It was more than I expected to get." Adam gave me a small smile and even if his words made my heart sink slightly I knew this was just a step.

I had faith that we'd make it back to a good place. I had to believe that.

"Are we going to be able to be friends again?" I asked.

I didn't want to try to push for more than he was willing to offer but I'd missed my friend. Even if he said he wasn't ready to be back in my life I just wanted hope for one day rebuilding the friendship we'd lost.

"We're friends Connor, I can't promise it will be the same as it was but give me some time."

And I felt relief sweep through me. I hadn't totally ruined this. We could still be friends even if it wasn't now I knew we'd be alright. I'd put the work in to show Adam he could trust me again.

A/n:

My job interview went well but unfortunately I had to say no to the job. I'm a little disappointed but sometimes things just don't work out. I have to return to my job but I'm hoping to be out of there soon. Just because one job doesn't work out doesn't mean there won't be more.

Also I've been trying to write but I've been in a sad mood. For the sake of my characters I will not let myself ruin their happiness. I've been on a writing break and only writing a small amount when I feel like it.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

- Cora Leigh