49. Fifth wheeling

Connor's pov:

I felt nothing but excitement as I sat in a folding chair with a lap full of flowers. This was my second time doing this. The first time I had less flowers and a recipient that was less than enthusiastic to receive them.

Watching Nico graduate with Sasha had been fun. It was even more fun to give Nico a bouquet of red roses and see him glare at me the whole time. For some reason when Sasha gave him flowers his expression softened and he happily tucked them in his arm.

Maybe he just didn't like roses. It definitely had nothing to do with the fact I gave him the flowers.

But now I was sitting here at another graduation with a lap filled with colorful flowers that I was hoping would make Jetson smile. Not only did I love Jet's smile more than anything but I also was trying to prove to myself that I deserved to see that smile.

I was working on being the best boyfriend I could be even without being his boyfriend. I wanted to be though. I wanted the label but I had to show him I deserved that role. I hadn't been great in the past so it was time to prove myself.

"Do you think I should have gotten Jake flowers?" Evan asked eyeing mine.

"Nah just let him stick his hands down your pants and he'll be way happier than if he had flowers." I answered.

"I did that and he did look pretty happy about it."Evan chuckled.

"I hope it was a little more than pretty happy."

It was nice being able to actually talk to Evan. He'd started dating Jake this year and I was way too drunk to even try to get to know him much. We didn't have the best first impression. I cringed slightly thinking about how the first time we'd met was when I was completely naked. Luckily things have gotten better since then. I've managed to keep my dick away and that's honestly an improvement.

"Oh he was very happy, I'd recommend."

"Good to know, I'll see if Jake wants to stick his hand down my pants next time I see him."

"How does Jetson put up with you?" Evan smacked my shoulder with a laugh.

"I ask myself that every day."

"You know I'm actually really happy for you two. Jetson deserves to be happy and I don't think I've ever seen someone put a smile on his face like you do."

And those words meant more than anything in the world. To have one of Jets friends think I'm good for him, yeah that was the best thing I'd ever heard. I'd let myself feel like I wasn't enough for Jetson but if Evan, who had seen all the times I'd hurt his friend, believed I was good for Jet than maybe I should believe in myself a little more.

"I try my hardest, all I want is for him to be happy."

Evan smiled and nodded at my words. I knew he could relate. I knew how he felt about Jake, I'd seen that relationship bloom and Jake had changed for the better with Evan by his side. I'd never seen my roommate happier. That was all that I'd ever wanted with Jetson. I wanted what they had and I'd work my ass off to get it.

It was a long ceremony. Once Jetsons name was called it was hard to stay awake as all the other names got called. I just wanted it to be over so I could see my Jet Plane. I didn't care about anyone else.

That's why it was such a relief when it was over and Evan and I went to the front to wait for everyone to walk out. I saw Becca first as she ran through the crowd her blonde hair flowing out behind her. It was like she was the flash as she ran right at Evan throwing herself at him in a hug.

"I'm a college grad baby!" She cheered.

"Congrats Bec." Evan smiled widely.

"You should've been up on that stage with us but you know I'll be screaming so loud next year when your name gets called."

"Wouldn't expect anything less." Ev laughed.

"How are you so much faster than I am?" Monroe, Becca's boyfriend finally caught up to us.

"Wouldn't you like to know." She left Evan's side to wrap herself around her boyfriend.

It was then that Jetson finally joined the group. When he saw me his whole face lit up. I loved having that effect on him.

"I got you flowers." I handed him the bouquet and his face lit up even more.

"What?! Oh my god Connor I don't think I've ever gotten flowers before." He took the flowers hugging them against his chest the biggest smile on his face.

That was exactly what I had wanted. I wanted to make him this happy.

"You like them? I couldn't decide which ones to get you and the lady at the florist recommended this one so I figured I'd trust her since she was an expert and all."

"They're amazing! Oh god thank you so much," and then I had two arms filled with Jetson.

I didn't even hesitate to wrap him up in a hug squeezing him against me. I loved having him in my arms.

"The flowers!" He wiggled right out of my grasp looking down at the flowers making sure we didn't crush any of them.

"Where are my flowers?" Becca looked up at her boyfriend.

"At the apartment I didn't have anywhere to put them." He leaned down and kissed the top of her head.

"Seriously? I didn't actually expect you to get me any."

"That's not the only thing I got you." He grinned widely.

"I hope the other gift is your dick."

"Fine I got you three things." He laughed.

"Where's Jake when you need him?" Evan groaned looking at the four of us.

"No complaining, I dealt with a lot of gross couple stuff from you two. This is just a taste of your own medicine." Jetson teased his roommate.

"I hate fifth wheeling." He grumbled.

"Aww you lonely Ev?" Becca reached her arm out pulling Evan into the embrace she was still in with Monroe.

"This feels a lot weirder now that you were just talking about his dick." Evan told his best friend.

All of us laughed as Becca didn't let go as Evan tried to wiggle out of the hug.

"Thank you for being here." Jetson said looking over at me.

"Nowhere I'd rather be Jet plane." I smiled at him,

It was time to finally make this thing between us official. I was ready and I just hoped Jet was too.