45. Forgive you

Connors pov:

It felt nice. I was laid up in bed with a sleepy Jetson curled in my arms. So often lately it's been the other way around. He'd had to hold me as I tried to sleep either from crying myself into exhaustion or because nightmares kept me up most of the nights.

Now it was me holding him as he tried to finally get some sleep. Finals were coming up and Jetson threw himself into studying even if it meant staying up way too late. Anytime I'd tried to get him to go to bed he'd lay there alert and stressed about the tests coming up.

Finally he'd hit a point of exhaustion and I'd opened my arms happily to let him crawl into. His head rested heavy on my chest as he let out even breaths letting me know he was actually get some rest.

I wanted to do this forever. Holding him like this made me feel like I could. Jetson staying with me had become an issue. I was getting addicted to having him around. I was addicted to waking up next to me and going to sleep with him by my side. Going through our morning routine or just finding times in the day to wrap myself around him and know he was right here whenever I needed him.

I wanted a forever of this and I didn't know what I'd do if I couldn't have it.

There was a soft knock on my bedroom door and it wasn't hard to tell it was my mom. She always knocked lightly where if it wasn't quiet in my room I probably wouldn't hear it. My dad was more of a slam his hand against the door hard enough to shake the whole house.

"Come in." I said trying not to raise my voice too high to avoid waking up Jetson.

"Connor, there's someone at the door for you." My mom gave me a soft smile.

Usually I'd be stressed about who was here but the way my mom smiled at me and the fact her face was so soft and relaxed let me know that whatever was waiting for me wasn't bad. She wouldn't let me walk into something bad without warning. I trusted her so I felt nothing but at ease with the news.

"Alright give me a second." I told her and she just nodded slipping back out of my room.

I maneuvered Jetson off of me and he let out a soft groan reaching out once I made space between us.

"I'll be right back, get some sleep." I whispered to him pressing a soft kiss on the top of his head.

He didn't respond but seemed to relax enough in the pillows that I felt comfortable leaving him. I didn't want to be the reason he didn't get enough sleep.

I was a lot less nervous and more curious as I walked down the stairs. After all the terrible shit that had been thrown at me I didn't think it could get any worse. So really I didn't have it in me to worry anymore. I'd survived so far.

When I got to the front door my mom was there chatting away with whoever was on the other side with a wide smile on her face.

I couldn't see who was there but before I could try to get a glimpse my mom turned to me.

"Oh Connors here." She turned back to the door. "It was nice seeing you again."

When she stepped away from the door opening it up wider my heart stopped in my chest. I didn't know what I was expecting but it hadn't been this.

Standing in the doorway was Reid. I hadn't seen him since our senior year of high school. I'd taken our ten year friendship and shattered it into nothing. And those last few weeks of high school as I did everything I could to avoid him. It had all been torture. I hadn't felt like I'd ever be able to face Reid again, to try to make it right with him.

How did you apologize to someone after four years of not speaking? How could I explain why I'd never reached out over the years?

"Hey." Reid smiled at me and it hurt to see that his smile was fully genuine.