Part 10

Skipping to the day of the funeral. You decided to go, he wouldn't want you to miss a game but you can't miss his funeral. Lucy and your mum are waiting for you to arrive. You travelled alone as Leah couldn't miss the game.
Keira is here with Lucy as they don't have a game until the weekend. Leah rings you as you get to the venue.
Leah: "hey baby, are you there yet?"
Y/n: "yeah, just parking now, I can see mum, lucy and Keira"
Leah: "okay, I wish I was there with you"
Y/n: "I know, but you go play, you make him proud for me okay?"
Leah: "I will, you know I will, the girls are all wishing you well okay?"
Y/n: "tell them I said thank you"
Leah: "okay baby, I'll let you go, ring me after okay? We aren't playing until 7 so I'm just chilling until I have to leave"
Y/n: "okay babe, I love you"
Leah: "I love you too"
The phone call ends. You get out of the car and walk over to Lucy and your mum.
Your mum: "hey darling"
She hugs you tightly, you hug her back, you hug lucy and Keira too.

The funeral starts. You are reading what you wrote about your dad. You are trying not to cry before so you can finish the speech.

You stand up in front of everyone.
Y/n: "my dad, my hero. He wasn't just my dad, he was Lucy's dad, he was my mums life long partner, he was a friend, a person I could go to if something went wrong, and that will never change. He just can't answer me back and give me advice anymore" You tear up. "He was everything to me and Luce growing up, he'd play football, cricket, baseball, rounders, rugby, he would play whatever we wanted to play. He always taught us to dream big, the sky is your limit. Now me and lucy are playing for two of the biggest clubs in Europe, reaching every milestone possible, and that wouldn't have been possible without him" you wipe your tears away and look at lucy and your mum. They are smiling through their tears.
"Dad, you would roll around on the floor pretending to be injured when get tackled you in the garden, you would stand on the sidelines and shout at the ref when we got tackled, you'd protect us, you'd keep pushing us even if we were too stubborn to know you were right. You were right. I spoke to mum the day after he died, and she told me you would tell everyone that your daughter played for your club. I did dad, so did lucy, and you wouldn't miss a game if you could help it, you'd be there, cheering us on, win lose or draw. If you know my dad at all, you know he had a Sunderland tattoo, he had a tattoo of his football club, not his daughters" everyone laughs "he loved that club, he loved everything about it, but I know he loved me and lucy more, even though there was no tattoo to prove it, we didn't need that, we didn't need it, because we were his blood" you start choking up, you wipe more tears out of the way "dad, I love you, Lucy loves you, mum loves you and that will never change. You will never leave my heart, enjoy your view up there big fella, me and lucy will continue to chase our biggest dreams, thanks to you"
You look at his coffin and blow a kiss. You cry a bit more and step off the stage.
You sit down next to lucy who hugs you. Your mum grabs your hand.
After the service everyone heads to his local pub, where everyone knew him, everyone starts telling stories about him but you know what you need to do.
You call Leah.
Leah: "hey baby, how did it go?"
Y/n: "it was beautiful, I just wish he was still here"
Leah: "I know, he's looking down at you with a huge smile, I know it"
Y/n: "yeah"
You and Leah chat for a minute or two. You walk out of the pub, get in your car and drive. You drive to London, where the girls are playing. They don't know you'll be there, you didn't know you would be there, but you need to, you need to play, for him.
You call Jonas on the way.
Jonas: "y/n, how are you?"
Y/n: "can I play?"
Jonas: "y/n you are in Sunderland"
Y/n: "no I'm pulling into the training ground, can I play?"
Jonas: "are you sure?"
Y/n: "yeah"
Jonas: "okay, come inside, I'm just about to have a meeting with the girls before we get on the bus"
Y/n: "okay"
You hang up, get out of the car and head to the meeting room.
Before you get there.
Jonas: "girls, y/n wants to play, I think she needs to"
Leah: "she's in Sunderland"
Jonas: "no she's not, she's just pulled into the training ground"
Leah: "what?"
Jonas: "are we all happy for her to play?"
All the girls agree. You walk in at that moment.
Leah hugs you instantly.
Y/n: "I need to play le, for him"
Leah: "okay"

You stay quiet through the meeting, you all get on the bus and head to meadow park. Leah holds your hand as you walk into the changing room.
You get in the zone, you listen to the pep talk and go out for kick off. You are starting with Beth and Caitlin on either side of you.
Leah kisses you before kick off, you smile at her and the crowd. Just before the whistle blows you look at the sky, you point to it and say "this is for you dad".

Kick off:

17' you score from the half way line.
Commentary: "what was that! Y/n bronze with an absolute rocket from her own half!"
You drop to your knees and point to the sky. The team gather round you. They all hug you.
Commentary: "this goal comes a week after she announced her fathers passing, we are wishing y/n and her family all the best"

27' you assist Beth's goal
32' you score again
43' you score again

Half time.
Jonas takes you off, you aren't angry as you haven't trained properly for a week, so your fitness isn't the best.
You sit on the bench for the second half, you look at the sky smiling because you know you have done him proud.

Full time, 6-0 to arsenal. You get pulled for an interview by the BBC.
Alex: "y/n, first of all we are all so sorry for your loss, I'm guessing you were out there playing for him today?"
Y/n: "yeah, his funeral was this morning, I was there, but I know he'd want me to have played so I did"
Alex: "im sure he's proud of you y/n"
Y/n: "I hope so, I really hope so"
Alex: "a hattrick, your first for arsenal, and the first in the WSL of this season, how does that feel?"
Y/n: "you know I don't know, surreal? I just kept playing as well as I could"
Alex: "you definitely did that y/n"
Leah runs over to you mid interview.
Leah: "hey guys"
Alex: "Leah, what a game ey?"
Leah: "yeah proud of this one"
She kisses your cheek.
Leah: "she deserves the world, it's been a difficult week for her and she came from Sunderland, and played an absolute blinder of a game"
You smile at her.
Alex: "y/n, what's it like playing for this team?"
Y/n: "they are such a great group, through probably the hardest week of my life they were patient, supportive and were there for me, Le and my family"
Alex: "y/n, it is with great pleasure to give you player of the match today, well deserved"
Y/n: "thanks guys, I'll erm talk to you later"
You and Leah walk off to the team who are waiting for you. They all embrace you in the biggest hug. Lucy rings you at that moment.
Lucy: "he's proud of you sis, so proud"
Y/n: "well he did have the best seat in the house"
Lucy: "that he did"
Y/n: "sorry for just leaving, I just needed to play for him today"
Lucy: "don't apologise, I'm glad you did"
Y/n: "is mum okay?"
Lucy: "mums okay, she watched every second of your match"
Y/n: "can I speak to her?"
Lucy: "she's not here, she's in the crowd"
Y/n: "what?"
Someone taps you on your shoulder you turn around and see your mum.
You drop the phone and hug her instantly.
Your mum: "im so proud of you, he's so proud of you"
You start crying, something you have tried not to do through the game.
Your mum: "shhhh it's okay, I know he watched every second with a smile on his face"
You cry more and more.
You keep hold of your mum.
Y/n: "how are you here?"
Your mum: "you disappeared at the wake, and I knew instantly that you would be here, playing so I left 20 minutes after you did. I called Leah, and asked her for a ticket.
You look at Leah who is laughing with the girls.
Your mum: "keep hold of that one sweetheart"
Y/n: "she isn't going anywhere"
Your mum: "good"
You and your mum walk over to the girls.
Y/n: "girls this is my mum"
They all say hi, Leah hugs her.
Your mum: "thank you"
Leah: "for what?"
Your mum: "for looking after her, I'm sorry about the past, but I'm hoping to change the future"
Leah: "it's all forgotten"
Your mum: "you are family now"
Leah hugs her again and kisses you.
Leah: "ready to go?"
Y/n: "mum needs somewhere to stay"
Leah: "we have a spare room"
You smile at leah, your mum gets on the bus with you.
You all get back to your flat and you show your mum to her room. She goes to bed after a long emotional day.
You and Leah are watching tv, Leah turns to you.
Leah: "how are you?"
Y/n: "tired"
Leah: "bed time?"
Y/n: "bed time"
You and leah get in bed and you cuddle up to her. You fall asleep to Leah kisses your head and whispering she loves you.