Part 12

Game day.
Against Belgium.
At Milton Keynes.
Sold out.

You are warming up, you see the crowd filling with the fans and you get focused. You train and warm up before heading into the changing room.

Kick off.

19' you score your first England goal.
The team celebrate with you, you point to the sky for your dad.

43' you score again, from just outside the box.

45+2' you score a penalty.

A hattrick, on debut.
Leah kisses your forehead and tells you she loves you.

87' you are running down the left hand side with the ball at your feet, someone tackles you from behind. They miss the ball completely, they snap your ankle.

You go down and scream in pain. You are in so much pain, you are crying, you look at your ankle and you instantly know it's bad. The ref and the team run over, Leah kneels down and holds your hand.
Leah: "baby, baby it's okay, you're okay"
Y/n: "im not, look at it"
Leah: "it's not that bad babe"
Leah looks at Beth and Millie with so much concern, she knows it's bad, but she wants you to keep calm.
The team shield you from media and cameras. Once they do that, you know it's bad. Really bad.
The medics run over, they assess the situation and give you pain relief. It still hurts, the green whistle isn't working.
You are crying, in pain and in sadness. Leah is holding your hand. The medics put you on a stretcher and take you off the pitch. The fans are giving you a round of applause but you are too sad to do anything.
You get taken to the medical rooms, Leah had to stay on the pitch for the rest of the game so you are alone with the medics. You are still crying.
Y/n: "just tell me guys"
Medics: "we don't know the full extent, but it's not good"
You put your hands over your face to hide the tears. You have never been in so much pain, you are 22, 23 in 7 days, you are scared, and all you want is your dad by your side. Someone knocks on the door. The medics open it, you don't look at who it is.
Your mum: "im here, I'm here, it's okay"
You look at your mum with blood shot eyes, you cry into her as she hugs you.
Y/n: "I want dad"
Your mum: "I know sweetheart, I'm sorry"
Y/n: "don't let Leah in"
Your mum: "why not?"
Y/n: "I don't want her seeing me like this"
Your mum: "sweetheart, she's worried about you"
Y/n: "im a mess mum, I can't let her see me like this"
Your mum: "look at me y/n"
You look at your mum.
Your mum: "she will not care, all she cares about is you, not what you look like"
At that second she rushes through the door.
Leah: "baby"
She rushes to the other side of you and holds your hand.
Y/n: "it's not good"
Leah: "it's not that bad"
Y/n: "babe, it is, stop lying"
Your mum leaves the room to give you some time.
Leah: "im sorry, I'm so sorry"
Y/n: "it's not your fault is it?"
Leah: "no I guess not"
Y/n: "then please stop apologising"
Leah: "okay"
Leah kisses you, she holds your hand right as you get taken to the ambulance that is waiting for you.
Lucy and your mum get into a police car waiting to transport them both to the hospital to be able to quickly get around the traffic, that's when they know it's a major major injury.
You get to the hospital, you are taken for all kinds of tests and scans, leah is waiting in the family room when Lucy and your mum walk in.
Leah stands up and hugs them both, tightly.
Leah: "she's gone for scans and tests"
Lucy: "she's going to be fine"
Leah nods and sits back down. She's getting phone calls left right and centre from teammates and her family but she's not answering them.
Lucy gets a call from Beth and Keira, she answers and tells them what's going on.
Around an hour later, the doctor comes in.
Everyone stands up.
Doctor: "I wish I didn't have to tell you this, but y/n has a very serious ankle injury, her bone at the top of her ankle is completely snapped, she's torn ligaments, other bones in her foot."
Your mum: "what are you saying"
Doctor: "her foot is basically not connected to the rest of her body right now"
Leah looks at both lucy and your mum.
Leah: "you can fix it right?"
Doctor: "with surgery, we can try."
Lucy: "try?"
Doctor: "with an injury like this it's not certain that she will ever gain full mobility back into that foot"
Leah sits down, and so does lucy.
Your mum: "she's a professional footballer, she's 22, you must know if she can play again, right?"
Doctor: "we will have to wait until after surgery to understand if she will be able to or not."
Your mum: "can we see her?"
Doctor: "she's sedated right now, she was in so much pain and nothing was working"
Your mum: "I want to see her"
Doctor: "okay, follow me"
The three of them stand up, all with tears in their eyes from what they've been told. They get to your room. Your mum and lucy sit on one side of you, Leah sits on the other.
Leah: "have you told her?"
Doctor: "no, we wanted to wait until shes out of sedation"
Leah nods and looks at you, she holds your hand, she holds your hand up to her face and kisses it.
You start to wake up, everyone is crying slightly and you notice.
Y/n: "how bad is it?"
Everyone looks at you, Leah decides to tell you.
Leah: "baby"
You look at her, you know instantly it's really bad from her tone and her face.
Leah explains what the doctor said to them, you cry, and cry, and cry. You can't talk because you are crying so much.
Leah: "baby, I'm so sorry"
Y/n: "whe-when am I-I having surgery?"
Leah: "in an hour babe"
Y/n: "okay, mum, lucy, can I speak to leah alone"
Your mum: "of course sweetheart"
Lucy gives your hand a squeeze and your mum kisses your head, they leave the room and shut the door behind them.
Y/n: "I love you le, I love you so much, but"
Leah: "im not going anywhere, I know what you are about to say"
Y/n: "I think it's best if we break up babe"
Leah: "no no no, we aren't, I'm not going anywhere, you hear me?"
Y/n: "you want footballer me, and I can't play anymore"
Leah: "no I want you, a footballer? A nurse? A fucking shoemaker. I don't care, I want you, just you"
Y/n: "le"
Leah: "I love you y/n, and I'm not leaving your side through any of this"
You squeeze her hand and sigh, just as the doctor comes in to take you for surgery.
Y/n: "I love you Leah Williamson"
Leah: "I love you y/n Bronze"
She kisses you, and the doctors wheel you away.

The next few hours are hell. Lucy is texting the girls a lot, saying there's no update, no news, nothing. Your mum is sat next to Leah holding her hand when Amanda walks in.
Amanda: "Leah?"
Leah looks up and sees her. She stands up instantly and runs to hug her.
Amanda: "she's going to be fine darling"
Leah cries, she's hasn't cried a lot but now she's crying.
Amanda: "shhhh it's okay"
Leah: "im so scared"
Amanda: "i know, the whole family is"
Your mum: "im going to get coffee, I'll get one for you guys too"
Lucy goes with your mum, it's just Leah and Amanda in the waiting room.
Leah: "what if she can't play again"
Amanda: "then we will all love her the same amount, she's still y/n"
Leah: "but she won't be y/n, she's had a ball at her feet since she was 3, she wants to play, she wants to make her dad proud by playing the r game they both love."
Amanda: "let's not talk like she can't play again, we don't know that okay?"
Leah: "yeah"
A little while later your mum and lucy walk back into the room, they hand both Amanda and Leah a coffee and sit back down.

It's now been 6 hours since you went into surgery, it's 3am. The doctor walks in. Everyone stands up instantly.
Doctor: "she's awake"
Leah: "how did it go?"
Doctor: "we managed to reconnect the bones, and the ligaments, however, with the extent of the injury, we aren't at all that confident that she will regain full mobility"
Leah looks at lucy.
Lucy: "she plays professional football, for Arsenal and England, will she play again?"
Doctor: "im not a sports medic, so that would be a conversation that is needed with her teams"
Leah: "just tell us, I can see it in your face"
Doctor: "in my opinion? With this injury, and the extent of it, no, I don't think she will play again"
Leah: "let me tell her, please"
Doctor: "okay"
Leah follows the doctor to your room, you are awake, waiting for them to come in. You see Leah and smile.
Y/n: "hey babe"
Leah: "how are you feeling?"
Y/n: "meh, tired"
Leah: "it's been a long day, erm"
Y/n: "how did the surgery go?"
Leah: "baby, they repaired it all, but in the doctors opinion, he doesn't think you'll play again"
You look at Leah, she's holding your hand.
Y/n: "really?"
Leah nods with tears in her eyes. You tear up.
Y/n: "i want to go home"
Leah: "you have to stay here until the morning babe"
Y/n: "last time I was in hospital I watched my dad die, and now I'm here, killing his dream"
Leah: "no, babe, he's proud of you, so proud of you"
Y/n: "I want him here, why can't he just be here"
Leah: "I know babe, I'm sorry"
You lay there, looking at the ceiling, Leah holding your hand and kissing it every now and again.
Y/n: "you need to get back to camp babe, so does lucy."
Leah: "no I'm not going anywhere"
Y/n: "babe, I'm not having this argument, the team need their captain"
Leah: "I don't want to leave you"
Y/n: "my mum won't go, I won't be alone, I'll be cheering you on from home, and waiting for you to get back"
Leah: "babe"
Y/n: "Leah, they need you, win that trophy for me"
Leah: "you know I will"
Leah kisses you softly, tells you she loves you and leaves.
You cry yourself to sleep, very quickly.