Part 13

The day after the game, the surgery, the life changing moment.
Your mum is taking you home, Leah and Lucy are back at camp, they aren't allowed to say anything about the extent of your injury, until arsenal assess it. The girls are all asking them how you are, you aren't answering messages or phone calls from anyone but Leah and Lucy. Sarina knows how bad it is, but again, she can't say anything.

You get home, to a flat that is not fit for a wheelchair, so you are moving around on crutches. You sit on the roof alone, your mum is tidying the flat.
Tomorrow, you are going to arsenal to find out how bad the injury is. You are scared, you wish Leah was with you but you know she's needed at England.

You post this on your instagram story:

You instantly get tonnes of likes from it, direct messages of people asking if you are okay

You instantly get tonnes of likes from it, direct messages of people asking if you are okay. You don't respond to them, you don't know what to say.

The next day, the day your future is decided. You are sat in the medical room at arsenal. The medics are looking over scans and tests, the surgery notes, everything.
Jonas is in the room, along with your mum who is holding your hand. You feel like your heart is going to rip out of your chest you are that nervous and scared.
The medics look at you.
Y/n: "just tell me"
Medics: "im sorry y/n"
You look at your mum, you tear up.
Your mum: "there's nothing to say that she will be able to play again?"
Medics: "with the injury, the nerve and ligament damage, no, I don't see a way that it's possible. I can't see you playing professional football again"
You throw your head back onto the bed, you cover your face with your hands. Everyone is talking around you but you aren't listening, all you can hear, is the words "I can't see you playing professional football again". They repeat in your head, over and over. You want to run, you want to leave but you can't. You can't move. You are stuck, trapped.
Y/n: "can everyone just leave?"
Everyone looks at you.
Y/n: "please I just need to be alone and I can't go anywhere so"
Your mum kisses your head and everyone leaves the room.
You sit there thinking about everything, how a 22 year olds career is over sighing 9 months of it starting. You think about having to tell Leah, your teammates, your friends, family. At that moment you get a call, it's Leah.
You pick it up but don't say anything.
Leah: "baby? How did it go?"
Y/n: "I'll never play again"
Leah: "im so sorry babe, I wish I was there with you right now"
Y/n: "I miss you"
Leah: "I'll be home soon, I promise"
Y/n: "you can run if you want, I'm giving you an out"
Leah: "no babe, I'm not running, I'm not hiding, we are in this. Together"
You start crying.
Y/n: "I'll never be the y/n you fell in love with again"
Leah: "baby? I fell in love with you, not y/n that plays football for arsenal and England, I fell in love with y/n bronze from Sunderland"
Y/n: "im sorry"
Leah: "what have you got to be sorry for?"
Y/n: "I don't know"
Leah: "I love you, I love y/n bronze from Sunderland"
Y/n: "I love you babe, I'll call you later okay? Enjoy training"
You hang up before Leah can say anything else.

The next few days are a blur. Nothing has been said about your injury to the public or teammates. Today is the day that that is happening. Arsenal are releasing a long awaited statement.