Part 14

Your mum drives you to the hospital. You get a scan on your ankle. No further damage has been done, you call Leah on your way home.
Y/n: "hey"
Leah: "you sound sad? What's happened?"
Y/n: "no further damage, I'm okay"
Leah: "good"
Y/n: "im sorry"
Leah: "for what?"
Y/n: "for snapping at you earlier, I just hate all the fuss"
Leah: "I know baby, just let me help you okay?"
Y/n: "I'll try"
Leah: "the girls are all asking about you"
Y/n: "tell them I'm okay"
Leah: "of course"
Y/n: "I love you"
Leah: "I love you too, I'll call you tonight okay?"
Y/n: "okay"
The call ends and you get home. Your mum helps you into the flat and gets you some food. You hate not doing anything, all you want to do is play football.

The next few days are okay, your ankle is in less pain but still hurts. Leah is home tomorrow. England won the Arnold Clark Cup. You are excited to have her back with you. Your mum goes home tonight, your first night alone since the injury.
Your mum: "I can stay another night if you need me to"
Y/n: "mum I'll be fine"
Your mum: "okay sweetheart, I'll call you later okay? Ring me if you need anything"
Y/n: "I will"
Your mum hugs you and leaves. You are alone, completely alone. You decide you don't want to go up to the roof tonight due to the stairs and no one being there if something happens.
It's 9pm, you get into bed with a bit of a struggle. Leah is ringing you.
Leah: "hey babe, how are you?"
Y/n: "okay, just got into bed"
Leah: "how's your mum?"
Y/n: "she's gone home"
Leah: "you're on your own?"
Y/n: "yeah"
Leah: "you sure that's a good idea?"
Y/n: "baby im going to be fine, you'll be home in the morning and im already in bed. What could go wrong?"
Leah: "that's true"
Y/n: "how was your head this morning?"
Leah: "sore, but im alright now"
Y/n: "good, im going to get some sleep, I'll call you in the morning okay?"
Leah: "okay baby, I love you, sleep well"
Y/n: "I love you too"

You fall asleep pretty quickly tonight knowing that Leah will be with you tomorrow.

The next day, you wake up and roll over. You feel someone in bed with you.
Leah: "good morning"
Y/n: "le?"
Leah: "yeah it's me"
Y/n: "I thought you wouldn't be home until later?"
Leah: "I got home an hour ago, it's 10am babe"
Y/n: "I missed you"
Leah: "I missed you more"
She kisses you, a kiss you have been waiting for for too long.
You cuddle into her tightly, she wraps her arm around you and doesn't let go. You start to cry.
Leah: "whats wrong?"
Y/n: "the past couple of weeks, all I've wanted is a cuddle from you"
Leah: "im sorry I wasn't here babe"
Y/n: "it's okay, you are here now"
Leah holds you tightly, you don't let go.

A few months later, its now May. The end of the WSL is nearing, Arsenal are top of the league with one game to go.
You are doing much better, no pain, you are walking around with only one crutch and you just have a boot on. You have a scan today, Leah is going with you even though she has training. Jonas gave her the morning off to support you.

You go to the scan, you are nervous, even though you know the outcome, you are nervous. You've had the scan and you are waiting for the doctor to come in with the results.
Leah: "baby? It's going to be okay"
Y/n: "I know it's just gonna be the same news but why am I nervous?"
Leah: "it's natural babe, I'm nervous too"
Leah kisses you. The doctor walks in moments later.
Doctor: "y/n, how are you?"
Y/n: "im okay, a bit nervous but okay"
Doctor: "don't be nervous, I have some great news for you"
You and Leah look at him and wait for him to tell you.
Doctor: "your ankle is healed, the new bone around the break has grown at a speed I've never seen before, are you in any pain or feel like you can't walk?"
Y/n: "no, it's fine, I just use the crutch because the doctors told me to"
Doctor: "you don't need to use them unless you feel like you do. Can you feel your ankle or is it still a little numb?"
Y/n: "no I can feel it"
Doctor: "great!"
Leah: "what does all of this mean?"
Doctor: "I need to talk to the medical team at Arsenal, but I've never seen a recovery like this one y/n with the injury that you had"
Y/n: "why do you need to talk to Arsenal?"
Doctor: "I think, and that's a think, not a know, you might be able to play football again y/n"
You look at him with a blank expression on your face."
Leah: "professionally?"
Doctor: "professionally yes"
You don't say anything, you don't know what to say.
The doctor keeps talking about how you are still a month or two out of the game, but with scans every two weeks and keeping up with physio, you should be able to play again.
Y/n: "everyone said no chance? Why has that changed?"
Doctor: "well the damage in your ankle was so severe, we have never seen nerve regeneration like yours, never seen bone growth at the rate of yours. In past experiences, people have has to use crutches for the rest of their life."
Y/n: "so I might be able to play again?"
You start to tear up. Leah tears up.
Doctor: "you might be able to y/n, we will know 100% in a couple of weeks, I'll speak to the medics at your club and see what they say okay?"
Leah: "okay, thank you"
You both stand up, and head back to the car. You are in shock, you don't know what to do. Once you get in the car you start to cry.
Leah: "babe it's okay, you're going to be okay"
Leah hugs you tightly.
Y/n: "im in shock, I don't know what to say"
Leah: "let's not think about it until we know 100% okay?"
Y/n: "yeah you're right, don't want to get my hopes up again, come on, you need to get back to training"
Leah: "yeah I guess"
You and Leah head to Arsenals training ground, Leah joins up with the team to train. Jonas comes over to you whilst you are sat on the sideline.
Jonas: "no crutches? Must be a good sign y/n"
Y/n: "yeah, I'll know what the next step is in a couple of weeks"
Jonas: "that's great y/n"
Y/n: "yeah"
You look at the ground.
Jonas: "y/n, what's wrong? You've been so much more like yourself over the past couple of weeks"
Y/n: "the doctor gave me some news today that I should be happy about, but i don't think I am happy about it"
Jonas: "what news?"
Y/n: "I might be able to play again"
Jonas: "y/n that's great!"
Y/n: "I know, so why am I not happy about it?"
Jonas: "because you have been told that you will never play again, you got used to that idea"
Y/n: "I should be happy about it though right?"
Jonas: "it will take time to sink in, just give it time"
Y/n: "okay, thanks Jonas"
Jonas: "anytime y/n"
Jonas heads back to training, you watch the girls and you start to hope that you will get to play again.

Game Day.
Arsenal vs Chelsea.
For the title.
Arsenal win, they take the title, a Chelsea win and they win it.

You are sat in the dugouts, nervous, wishing you were out there with the girls. Wishing you could have some impact on the game.
It starts, Chelsea start strong, they get a goal early on.
The girls keep pushing, they equalise only a few minutes later.
93rd minute, only a minute left. Arsenal are on the attack, breaking through Chelsea's defence. Arsenal score! It's 2-1 to arsenal. They've done it. They have won the title!!
You are jumping up and down with the subs, you run onto the pitch and grab Leah. You pick her up and spin her around.
Y/n: "baby you did it!"
Leah: "we did it babe!"
You kiss her.
Y/n: "I love you Williamson"
Leah: "I love you Bronze"
Leah looks at you.
Leah: "you ran babe! You ran to me"
Y/n: "I guess I did"
Leah picks you up and kisses you again.
Arsenal lift the trophy, you get a medal too even though you don't think you deserve one.
You all celebrate all night, not a care in the world about what's going on.
You get home at around 5am, you and Leah are pretty drunk. Lucy calls you.
Lucy: "you awake?"
Y/n: "lucyyyyy, how are you?"
Lucy: "im in Sunderland"
Y/n: "wooooooo"
Lucy: "y/n"
Y/n: "what? What's going on?"
You feel like you sober up pretty quickly during this phone call.
Lucy: "it's mum"
You look at Leah.
Y/n: "last time you said something like that dad died. Tell me lucy"
Lucy: "she died y/n, 6 hours ago"
Y/n: "what?? What happened??"
Lucy: "car accident"
Y/n: "no no no no"
Lucy: "I've been in Sunderland all day, we both watched the match together, she went out to the shop and didn't come back"
Y/n: "you're lying"
You start crying, Leah looks at you and hugs you even though she doesn't know what's going on.
Lucy: "I wish I was y/n, she's gone"
You cry and don't stop crying. Leah hugs you more, planting kisses on your head. Leah takes the phone from you.
Leah: "lucy, it's leah, what's going on?"
Lucy explains everything to Leah.
Leah: "im so sorry"
Lucy: "she needs you right now, Keira is here with me so I'm okay"
Leah: "call me if you need anything yeah?"
Lucy: "I will"
The call ends. You are still crying, Leah's scoops you up and hugs you more and more.
Leah: "im so sorry babe"
You don't say anything, you just sit there. From what was the best day of your life has turned into the worst in only a few moments.
You don't sleep, you can't sleep. You just sit on the roof and look out at the skyline of London. The world carrying on, whilst your world has just come to a complete stop.
It's 10am, Leah wakes up without you next to her. She comes up to the roof and sees you sat on the edge.
Leah: "babe! Get away from there"
She pulls you away.
Leah: "what are you doing?!"
Y/n: "I wasn't going to jump don't be stupid, I just wanted to be closer to mum"
Leah hugs you, her heart beating fast over what's just happened.
Leah: "baby, how long have you been out here?"
Y/n: "since you fell asleep"
Leah: "come on, let's go back to bed"
Leah gets you back into bed, you cuddle into her and cry, you can't stop crying.
Leah is stroking your hair and kissing your forehead. You eventually fall asleep on Leah, she texts the group chat.

Arsenal Girls:

Leah: guys, bad news.
Katie: everything okay mate?
Jen: yeah what's up?
Steph: way to keep the suspense up Leah.
Leah: y/ns mum died.
Beth: what?? Is y/n okay? Is lucy alright?
Steph: what can we do Leah? If you need anything let us know.
Katie: girl can't catch a break, I'm so sorry Leah.
Jen: we've all got you, both of you❤️
Caitlin: if there's anything you need, let us know.