32...Unravelled

Stiles walked into his room, his heart heavy as he sat on his bed. Derek was dead. He was gone and wasn't coming back, and she didn't know. Stiles looked over at his desk where he saw a photo of himself and Yelena at her graduation a couple of years ago. Walking over to it, he closed his eyes and pulled his phone out of his pocket, he hesitated about calling her considering the fact that he was still in denial about everything himself, but when Lydia text him about it he knew he had to.

Have you told Yelena yet? She needs to hear it from you x

Stiles sighed and messaged her back

Dialling now

Stiles rubbed his eyes and checked the time it was around three am in Chicago but knowing his sister she'd still be up. With every ring that passed stiles felt his anxiety growing.

"Stiles? A bit late on a school night, isn't it?"

Stiles squeezed his eyes shut "It's Derek."

Chicago
Yelena and her roommate were having a few friends over. It had only been in the last month that Yelena actually felt like she belonged or like she could move on from Beacon Hills. Even the last few times she and Stiles had spoken things had seemed normal. Although to be fair she knew Stiles wouldn't tell her anyway since the reason she left was to live a normal life. Currently, Yelena was swigging wine out of the bottle since they were out of glasses and laughing with her friends.

"Len - you have a stiley or stills or - whoever there's some kid calling you." Her drunken friend told her.

Yelena laughed and took the phone from her, smiling at her brother's goofy caller ID picture, "His name is Stiles and he's my brother." Yelena went into the other room to answer her brother. Slightly nervous that he was calling her so late.

"Stiles? A bit late on a school night, isn't it?" She laughed.

"It's Derek."

Yelena's throat went dry, the whole time she'd been gone Stiles had never once said Derek's name, "What's Derek?"

On the other side of the phone, Stiles felt his stomach turn "Len, Dereks um - you know I think you should sit - well unless your already sat-"

"Stiles, what about Derek." She asked her voice hard as she tried to control her emotions.

"Yelena, he's dead. He died tonight I'm so sorry."

Yelena fell on top of her bed as his words whirled around in her brain "No, Dereks not dead. He can't be dead. Peter impaled him in full alpha form and he still came back to us, Dereks fine, he-"

"Yelena, he died. They couldn't find a body. There was a fight and the other side won."

"This is about that Alpha pack isn't it." She said coldly.

Stiles was surprised "What did you say?"

"The alpha pack. The one he sent me away from. They came didn't they," Yelena got annoyed when he didn't answer, "Stiles!"

Stiles closed his eyes and thought to himself "Yeah, yeah it was."

"When did they get there? How long have they-"

"Len, Yelena!" Stiles snapped "It doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is he's dead."

Yelena swallowed her sobs back and anxiously tapped her foot on the floor "Stiles I have to go."

"Yelena wait-"

"No Stiles I have people over, I have to go."

"Wait, Len just promise you won't come back. You can't be caught up in this right now just promise-"

"Stiles I can't- I have to go." She cried finally letting her voice crack and her tears flow as she hung up on her brother. She threw her phone on the floor and slid down her bed, hugging her knees close to her chest as she cried. What was she supposed to do? Was she supposed to go back outside and pretend things were normal and she hadn't just found out that her ex-boyfriend was dead? Did she respect her brother's wishes by staying away? One thing was for sure, she had to sober up quickly before she made a reckless choice.

()()()()()()()()

72 hours later and Yelena finally arrived back at Beacon Hills, after making her excuses at her new job, sorting out her flights to which she was unable to get a direct one, and then to get home and receiving the good news from Stiles, that had she received beforehand she probably wouldn't have returned.

Stiles watched as his sister buried her head into her hands and took in all of the information he'd just fed her.

"So just to clarify, Derek wasn't killed by the alphas, there is someone performing human sacrifices, Dad is on the edge of finding all of this out and losing his job, Erica is dead and Derek's younger sister is actually alive." Yelena recounted as she kept her face buried, not ready to face her brother.

Stiles chewed his lip nervously and nodded at her "Pretty much."

"But Derek is definitely alive?" She asked for about the fifth time since Stiles had told her that he wasn't dead.

"Yes." He told her again with a pause, "his um girlfriend found him."

Yelena finally looked up at him, her eyes were puffy from crying over what she thought was the death of her ex-boyfriend. A part of her felt her heart ache at the news he had moved on, but the rest of her was simply relieved that he was alive.

"What are you gonna do now?" Stiles asked after a few moments.

"I um don't know." She replied honestly

"Do you want to see-"

"No. No, I don't want to see Derek. I don't know what I thought would happen by me coming back." She admitted, "Tell me about the sacrifices." She said changing the subject.

"Len."

"Stiles, please, I don't want to think about the other stuff. Just tell me." Yelena said whilst rubbing her temples.

"Ok, well it started with virgins-" Stiles stopped mid sentence as another thought came to his head, "Oh yeah, it's all good now but Scott also nearly killed himself by setting himself on fire with gasoline and a road flare at this creepy-"

Yelena's jaw dropped, "what?!"

Stiles winced and opened his mouth to try and smooth it over but Yelena threw her hands in the air and stood up.

"Ok I need a drink."

A/n- I'm sorry that it's short but its because I split the chapter into two and will post the rest when I can xxx