7.56

Russell was dying today. As expected, not everyone was taking it well.

Russell was going to burn the same way he had planned for Violet's friend to die.

Violet was on guard duty, making sure things stayed in control, but Raven had other plans for her. She was needed somewhere else.

"What do you need from me, Bird," Violet said with a half smile.

Violet and Murphy were going to go on a dangerous mission. If the core reaches 1,500 degrees, the whole reactor would melt down. Everyone was going to die.

Raven hoped that by both of them being nightblood, the radiation wouldn't affect them too much.

Clarke had volunteered, but she had other things to attend to.

Violet and John were going to save the day. "We are going to be heroes, Johnny boy," Violet said playfully.

"Yeah, well, I'd rather be away from something that could potentially kill us."

She walked in front of him. Violet put on the code, and the door opened. She entered the room and saw two dead bodies on the floor.

Their bodies were affected by radiation. "Excuse me," she said and skipped over their bodies. She had a job to do.

Slowly she moved the metal pieces so the radiation wouldn't leak. "30 seconds," Murphy said through the radio. She only had a minute, and she was half way done.

The last piece was more difficult than the rest. It was stuck and wouldn't move. She grabbed it with both hands and pushed it up as hard as she could.

"Violet, you have 10 seconds!" John was getting worried it wasn't safe for her to be there for so long.

"I almost have it," she said, struggling. The piece began to move she stopped it slowly back into place. "Got it," she said, proud of herself.

"Get out of there!" Feeling dizzy, she began to walk to the door. She pressed on the code, and the door opened. Violet's vision became blurry, and she was hot.

Murphy grabbed her with both hands and helped her walk. He took her to the decon shower to remove some of the radiation.

Her blonde hair was sticking to her face from the water. She swallowed and rested her head on the wall.

Murphy stood in front of her grabbing her face with one hand on each side of her face. "Violet." She moved his hands and threw up on the ground beside him.

"Through health and sickness, right," Violet weakly joked. "I want it all," Murphy said, sounding serious.

He helped her take a seat. The rate had slowed, but the core temperature was still rising.

Murphy threw up too. "That makes me feel so much better."

With her eyes closed, Violet rubbed John's back. She wasn't feeling too good either.

Raven looked at John. "Murphy never went into primary containment. If he's getting sick, that means more radiation is leaking than I thought." Raven was stressed she needed to resolve the issue. Everyone always counted on her to know what to do.

"We have to pull them out of there," Murphy told Raven. She shook her head; they were almost done. They needed to finish.

"Bird, are you going to let them die," Violet asked weakly. "They're already dead," she responded without a care in the world, looking down at the controllers. She continued, "If we pull them out, we all die. They can still do it."

Violet opened and closed her eyes, her head wobbled. "Hey V," Murphy said, brushing a strand of her shirt blonde hair behind her ear.

"She'll be fine." Raven pulled John back away from Violet.
"We don't have time for that. Nightblood metabolizes radiation. We'll get her to Jackson as soon as you take this to Hatch," she handed him a tool. Raven put on the pin and pushed Murphy in the room with the others.

"Murphy. If you don't and the core melts down, not even nightblood will save you. I may not be able to rely on them, but you'd do anything to save your own ass. Go be a cockroach," she said to him through the door. She had locked him inside.

"Bird," Violet said weakly. John had left her side; she didn't want him to be in danger, but she was too weak to fight back and go with him.

Raven glanced at her but didn't say anything. She went back to look at the numbers on the screen.

Murphy helped out and, in a turn of events, began to talk to Hatch, one of the so-called criminals. They had a few things in common. They both needed to finish the job because they had a blonde girl who they love waiting for them.

Nikki, Hatch's partner, always acted first and never cared about the consequences; it reminded John of Violet. As they continued to talk, John didn't see Hatch as such a bad guy. He only did the things he did to survive, just like him.

Murphy and Hatch, with the help from the others, were able to save Sanctum.

They suffered mild burns and would be throwing up for a few hours, but they survived. Within a few hours John and Violet were as brand new.

Because the criminals helped them out, the people of Sanctum were a little bit nicer to them, and they were willing to share a few tools to help them build their own compound outside of the shield.

They still didn't trust them in their home, but they were willing to give them a chance. Starting within a week, they could start guiding their own home. A few of the Sanctum people would go with them far east and teach them how to survive in their moon.

One issue was taking care of now; there were three more to worry about.