Twenty-Six

I'd Rather Face Death.

"I don't love her, I feel bad that I put her in danger," Daphne crossed her arms, cocking her brow, "okay, maybe I care a little bit about her," she tilted her head, narrowing her eyes, "Alright, you win, now will you stop looking at me like that,"

"I won't say anything to her, clearly you haven't told you how you feel," he scoffed

"Is it that obvious."

"Yes, it is. I'd get your story straight before Draco get here-

"About Draco, I don't think he's coming,"

"Why not, we made a pact?"

"He didn't leave anything, meaning-

"He's never been here," she finished his sentence, "ugh, sometimes I just want to knock some sense into the dull blond big head of his,"

"Not before I do,"

"Fuck off, I get to punch him first,"

"Why's that Greeny, I deserve to hit him-" Mollie cleared her throat. "What's up?"

"I got the TV," she shook her head processing what she heard, "Did I hear you right, you're arguing over who gets to punch Malfoy?" they looked at one another, "Not that I'm complaining, I just wouldn't punch one of my friends,"

"Sometimes, he deserves it," Daphne said, smiling as she turned to Theo, "as do you," Mollie chuckled, he shot her a look clenching his jaw.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to laugh, but you did get on my last nerves not that long ago,"

"Shush, don't tell Daphy duck everything," Theo slipped beside her wrapping his arm around her waist.

"You know Daffy duck?" she asked

"Who?" Daphne questioned

"It's a muggle cartoon character," they both looked at one another, "You know, the duck, who always gets shot or blown up," she paused "Oh forget, you're looking at me like I'm insane,"

"No, we're not," Theo voiced, "we just aren't familiar with Muggle cartoon things, it still surprises me that you know so much,"

"Well, Sirius hated his parents, he'd do anything to irritate them, including buying a tv just one of many muggle things he bought," she looked down at the ground, biting her lip, "he's going to be so mad when he realises I'm gone,"

"He won't," Theo said,

"How would you know, you don't even know him,"

"True, but I know my father, if he knew I was here hiding, I'd rather face death than face him,"

"Black and Lupin both care about you, they'll be relieved to see you again, my father would kill me literally,"

"Has he always been like that,"

"I don't remember," he took a deep breath, "I just remember I always preferred to say with the Malfoys or the Zabinis than at Nott Manor, other than Hogwarts it's the only other place I felt safe,"

***

As night came, Theo insisted that Daphne take one of the beds, while he and Mollie shared. Trying to sleep seemed more difficult tonight, listening to Theo talk about his childhood, made her realise just how much she had taken Sirius and Remus for granted. If she ever saw them again she would tell how much she loved them and thank them for everything they had done for her.

She carefully manoeuvred herself from under Theo's arm, she crept downstairs trying her hardest not to wake anyone. She quietly unlocked the door leading to the back garden, she took in the fresh air, her heart dropped at the sound of rustling from around the corner.

"I could have sworn the Greengrass girl was heading this way,"

"She won't have gotten far," she let out a sigh as they apparated away. As she closed the door behind her she took a few deep breaths, gasping as Daphne stood in the doorway.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you,"

"They were looking for you,"

"I know, please don't tell Theo, I was sure that I had lost them,"

"It's okay, I won't say anything,"

"Thank you, we could be here for a while, are you sure you're okay running with Theo,"

"Yes, why wouldn't I be,"

"It's us they want, you would be entertainment for them,"

"I understand that I do, but I wasn't any safer at home, running with Theo, might be my best chance at surviving,"

"As long as you know where you stand, coming from someone who's known Theo a long time, always trust your instinct with him, if you feel a need to question him, do it, you think he's being reckless tell him, Theo does crazy things when he's not thinking straight, I'm not saying this to make you wary, I'm telling you so understand, Goodnight Mollie,"

She didn't move from where she stood, there had been countless times where she wanted to question his motives and never did. 'Can I trust Daphne, she isn't my friend' What did she need to understand?

"Girlfriend? She told me you were a cheap fuck," he once said to Michael, he taunted him, "I stole your girl," he was provoking him "Go on do it," all so Michael would punch him and start a fight.

Was he thinking straight then? Of course, he wasn't he was in public knowing people were after him. He walked Dina with her most mornings, knowing death eaters were searching for him. The more she thought about it the more she realised, Theo didn't care if someone found him, maybe he wanted to be found he made it so easy, even the dumbest of death eaters could have found him.

She didn't have any reason to question Theo. Only now she did, why did he want to run away after making it so easy to be found?