Twenty-Seven

Shadows

Mollie woke first, hoping to make breakfast though the lack of food made that difficult. She sat on the sofa, with her knees tucked into her chest, nibbling on crackers she had found one of the draws they were stale but it was food. Her stomach ached with every bite, craving something more appetising.

She glanced out of the window, hoping that there was a store nearby. She swiftly closed the curtain sighing as a mother walking with her young daughter. She didn't see any harm in going to get food, Theo was still sleeping as was Daphne.

She took a deep breath, 'we need food, no one's after you,' she told herself. Opening the door, she walked, where too she didn't know. Looking to her left and right questioning which way to go, she had only ever seen the outside at night. On a foggy morning, the street looked completely different.

"Are you lost dear?" a woman asked her.

"New to the area, where is the nearest shop,"

"Just around the corner, you can't miss it,"

"Thank you so much,"

As the woman, walked away a cold and eerie feeling surrounded her, she looked all around her debating whether to walk back into the house. Her stomach growled. 'No, we need food'.

***

Theo stirred turning over, the space next to him cold. He creased his brows, looking over to the chest drawers. He shot up when he noticed her coat was gone, throwing off the covers, he raced through the house, banging on Daphne's door.

"Mollie?" he called through the house. "Mollie!"

"What's all the shouting?" Daphne yawned.

"She's gone,"

"Who?"

"Mollie," he stalked towards her, grabbing her arms "What did you say to her?"

"Get your hands off me," he hesitantly let go, "I didn't say anything worth leaving over, she might have wanted some fresh air,"

"Not Moll, I'm going to go for her," as he hurried to change, she walked through the door, "Where the fuck have you been?" she didn't answer him. "No note to say you were leaving,"

"Theo-" Daphne spoke.

"What if something happened to you-

"Theo!" Daphne shouted, "Can't you see she's panicking," he looked at her again, this time noticing her trembling hands, and heavy breathing.

"Why did you leave without me?" he said more softly, "I would have gone with you,"

"I was hungry, and there's no food," she took deep breaths as he softly rubbed her arms.

"I'm sorry, I lectured you," she brushed him off, heading to sit on the sofa. "I am sorry,"

"I know, this place isn't stable for all three of us," she said, looking over to Daphne, "there's no food the water is always freezing, surely there's some other place we could go too,"

"And leave Pansy and Blaise in the dark," Theo said, she sighed, "I'll get food, and figure out a way to get hot water,"

She wasn't too keen on being left alone with Daphne. Though if it meant being able to have a decent meal she'd stay with his friend. As he pulled his hood up, concealing his face, he leaned down pecking her cheek.

"I won't be long," she smiled as he leaned down pressing his lips against hers.

She watched as he left he seemed to slip into the shadows creasing her brows. He disappeared, no sign of him, Daphne smiled to herself knowing exactly what she was thinking. Mollie backed away as shadows swirled over around her.

"It's a Death Eater thing, it makes it easier to blend in dark places. Easier to escape, easier to sneak up on people."

"What else can you do?" she asked, intrigued rather than concerned.

"Just shadows really, but we could do other things with them," Mollie turned her body more towards her. "Hold your hand out," shadows snaked around her tightly wrapping around her wrist.

"Ahh," Daphne pulled away her shadows, "that's strong,"

"Yeah they are, I've seen death strangle someone to death with just the shadows,"

"Dangerous to have them then," she rubbed her wrist.

"It's not all bad, Pansy discovered a more pleasurable way to use them," she was about to question how when Theo returned.

"I got plenty of food," he said holding up four bags of various foods and drinks. "What were you talking about?"

"Nothing," Daphne said winking at Mollie.

"Daphne was just telling me what a bore you were in school,"

"I can assure you she was talking about Blaise,"

"I would never speak of our Blaisey baby like that,"

"Never mind, glad to know my girls are getting along,"

Mollie got started on dinner, deciding to make stew and dumplings. As it was a filling meal that would please their stomachs for the next couple of days, Daphne and Theo watched her questioning why she didn't use magic to cook.

"Dig in everyone,"

She placed their plates in front of them, all three decided to sit at the table and eat together. Mollie hummed as she took her first bite, savouring the taste, they seemed to enjoy their food as well. Daphne offered to clean up, Theo thanked her for dinner, gesturing for her to lean over to him.

"Remember what I said about adding oils and potions to sex,"

"How could I forget," he smirked at her, flicking his eyes down to his hand, she looked down seeing he had a small vial in his hand. "You didn't,"

"Oh but I did, McKinnon just you wait," he leaned in against her ear, kissing her neck, "you'll be begging me for release,"

"Theo, someone's outside," Daphne hurried back in.

"Everyone upstairs," he ordered, Daphne quickly grabbed Mollie's arm pulling her up the stairs with her, Theo hurried quickly behind them. As they hid in one of the bedrooms, they heard a stumble through the house, a strained voice shouted.

"Daphne!"