Chapter 28

"Love is war. War is love."

The Misfits continued to fight for their lives against the Regulars but it worked only for a while.

Mavis worked with Elise, the nurse, to heal the injured while Harry ignited burning flames to kill the deadly.

They each did their job to help each other. Harry prevented the deaths for the most part so Mavis didn't have to heal as many.

You may be thinking then how did they Misfits fail?

They had the powers, the strength, and the immense numbers of people.

In all reality, the evil wins before the good will ever win. One day, the misfits will win. One day, Mavis and Harry will escape but for now they are in trouble and will be unless they dig themselves out of it.

Now

Suddenly, numerous shots rang out into the crowd. Not again, I swear if Harry was hurt again I would go ballistic. I know I can save him but I still didn't like seeing him like this. If I died, it was all over. I'm responsible for most of the lives still here.

Air was a perfect example of who I was to the Misfits. I kept them alive and without me they would be dead.

Everyone scrambled to find the injured people but I scolded them not to.

"Don't worry I got them. Everyone please stay calm," I yelled as everyone panicked.

They continued to run around in circles because then this time even more gun shots rang out into the crowd.

Suddenly, I experienced something that I should be used to by now but wasn't. It wasn't normal for a human in the real world's so why should it be for me?

Several bodies dropped to the floor like flies. It was descipable what they were doing to us. They treated us like nothing because we were nothing to them. They could experiment on us and treat us like animals.

Suddenly, I rushed to the scene of where the injured were so I could help heal their deadly injuries.

It worked on everyone but one of them. Each and everyone of them stood up like nothing had happened but the last one was different. She was shot in the chest and I tried lifting my finger to transfer the substance but it didn't work.

Was it too late? Was the injury too fatal? What caused this to not work?

The girl laid there on the ground her eyes staring straight at me even though she was dead.

It was freaky to look at someone so pale and lifeless when you had seen them with color and life in them before.

Harry immediately hurries over when he realized what was happening.

"Are you okay?" he asked placing his hand on my back as he talked.

"It isn't working Harry. I'm not working."

"Mavis, calm down. You've saved so many lives it's okay if you let one down.

"But what if that one life was you, Harry? That girl could be me Harry."

"But it wasn't you." he insisted.

"I can't believe I let her down." I cried paying my head against her chest.

"It's okay Mavis. You saved so many people today. I'm so incredibly proud of you."

"Really?" I sniffled as I gazed up at him.

"Yes, Mavis. God, you won't ever know how proud you make me."

Suddenly, as we held up the dead girl's body to set her next to the few other unfournate people the lights blacked out.