Chapter 1

Edited 3/30/15
The weight on my shoulders was unbearable. My collarbones were sinking in as the chains clung to my wrists. I never hated a lot of things, but I definitely dreaded the heavy punishment chains. Well, I did depise Mrs. Brunswick and the guards. Mrs. Brunswick was the owner of The House for Misfits in the city of Gem.

Don't be fooled by the name. Gem is a tryanical city. Boldness is a crime in Gem. If you do anything out of the ordinary, then you will be punished. I was glad it wasn't called a Home for Misfits, because it wasn't a cozy place to be. Obviously, I did something out of the ordinary. I had been snooping around her office, and of course, Mrs. Brunswick had to catch me in the act.

Almost 9 years ago my parents had died of a unknown cause, at least that's what the police told me. I didn't believe anything they said, so I was sure it was more was than a silly car accident. My uncle took their place as my guardian, but he abused me like I was a toy. His house always smelled like smoke and his breath reeked of beer. I swear I can still smell the lingering odor of smoke, and the strong scent of alcohol still on my body. One day, all of the piercing pain and suffering drove me over the edge. Because of this, I ran far away with the small stash of clothes and food I had. The police found me and sent me to the House of Misfits. This place is for the "troubled" kids, ages up to around twenty-five. One day, they'll decide to let you go on your so called "Seperation Day." That's when you're not "troubled" anymore. I wanted that day to come so badly, I craved the freedom.

Deep in my heart, I knew that I would get caught, but my curious mind overpowered me. So now I'm here in my cell, attached to these heavy brass chains.

Suddenly, Brian appeared in front of the metal bars. I wondered what he needed me for. The only times I was out of my cell was for lunch, breakfast, dinner, and when we did a "bonding" activity together.

"Come Miss Roth," Brian's voice bellowed.

As we walked out of the eeire hallway, I saw a mass of guys and girls gathered together. The wave of people were pushing each other to see what lied on the outside.

My curious mind told me to push through all of the crazed children to get outside. After all, I hadn't been outside in forever. I had been locked up in this hell hole.

"Excuse me," I murmured, pushing a boy out of the way.

He glared at me with a disgusted look, but I just rolled my eyes and continued pushing myself in front of all the people. I wanted to know what was outside the doors of The House for Misfits, and not even one little kid would stop me. Eventually, the aroma of fresh air hit me. It smelled so refreshing because it wasn't the usual, disgusting, smell of smoke.

A police car drove up to The House for Misfits. A figure stepped out of the car, but I couldn't see his face because he stared down at the ground. He wasn't like the rest. I could tell because he wasn't fighting off the guards like the vast majority did. He just walked along not making a sound. As he was getting closer to the door, I saw him. His green eyes stared at mine, like he was in fascination with me. I stared back at the beauty of the troubled man. Then, as the guards pushed him along, his eyes reverted back to the ground as they dragged him to his cell.

My mind was going insane, asking me questions such as "Why was he here?"

He had to have done something wrong or he was mentally insane. As my guard, Brian, walked me back, my mind kept wandering to the same thing; the new curly haired man. I laid on my springy mattress thinking about him. "I shouldn't be attracted to him," I told myself. He could be insane, a criminal, or both...

I can't sleep during the day, because my mind is always alert and awake. I was always needing to learn more about the world, even though it was incredibly hard when you were locked inside a building all of the time.

"Time to eat," Brian, my guard, mumbled as he unlocked the door so I could eat in the common room.

The common room was where we ate, either breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

The old lunch lady served some bland looking meat on to my plastic tray. Their food never was appetizing, but I managed to swallow it anyway. If I didn't eat, I would pass out, and getting sick didn't go well with Mrs. Brunswick, the horrible head owner of this place. Basically, you would end up dying because she didn't care if you were ill. Once you were ill, you were dead, and there were no questions about it.

I started to sketch a picture in my notebook. Drawing was always a good escape from the world.

The figure I drew turned out to be a boy. He had plump pink lips and mesmerizing pools of green in his eyes. On his head was a huge mess of chestnut curly hair. He reminded me of someone but I could never put a finger on who it was.

As I started to sketch the person's plump lips, a chair slid up next to me. My body froze as I looked up to see him. I think I found the meaning of love at first sight and in that moment. He was beautiful, his skin was inked with tattoos, and he had deep dimples that only showed when he smiled.

It was him. The boy with the green eyes.

A/N I am writing this way later than I published this part but I had to say something. Even though I haven't received a complaint about this I would like to address it. My book is nowhere near a copy of Physcotic. I love it though. It is set in a so called insane asylum but it's one for kids. This isn't set in the past and Harry didn't supposedly skin 3 women. Also, there are many differences as you go along but I would be spoiling the book if I told you.
Much love Xx