𝟱𝟱. 𝗖𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗴𝗼

A/N: I've been through hell and back with this chapter. Come back later to see images of Beau's outfit, I'd rather post this without the images rn than make you wait longer than you already have! Again, sorry for the delay in uploading, hope it's worth it!!

(I'll cry if I see hate.)

We're in a chalet in Chicago

Well, to put it better, we're in a chalet that Kaylee rented for us, in the middle of a pretty snowy January in Chicago. But I guess it's one way to celebrate your eighteenth birthday. Luckily we missed the blizzard by a day but the snow's still calf deep, I sound like I'm complaining -I'm not- I've always loved the snow, makes me feel like a child and since I'm about to face a big reminder that I'm far from seven, I'd call this surprise trip pretty perfectly timed.

I huddle a little closer to Grayson in this hottub as the rest of the group count down the seconds to twelve. I've never really been the type to see my birthday in, not until these past few years anyway. My mothers face flashes through my mind as they all scream 'two'. Grief works horrible hours. I try twist the narrative to see it as her wishing me a happy birthday and smile.

'Happy birthday's' travel through the bubbling water, straight my way as I offer thank you's back and take another sip of my drink because I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling awkward, all eyes on me.

I look up to Grayson, he looks as tired as the rest of us. Things are pretty much back to normal now, it took a while though. There was still awkward tension between us, but in between the random outbursts of nervous laughter and time and effort put in from both of us, I'd say we're as good as we were if not stronger. And I suppose each trial we face will strengthen us, but I wouldn't want to invite another any time soon. I'd say we're pretty rock fucking solid right about now.

"Happy birthday, Hampton." he kisses my temple and I press my damp head against his chest, getting comfortable when Bella's phone camera flashes in our direction.

"Bella." Grayson moans but I just laugh, someone's got to do it. My camera roll is practically sparse with real, sweet couple photos. I'd much rather not talk about my camera roll at all, actually.

"But you actually looked cute sitting there together, for once I had to." she replies, almost going rosy staring back at it, and I might have felt awkward if her boyfriend wasn't clinging onto her like a lost child.

"Yeah, happy birthday Bow bow." Mikey pulls the rolled up joint that I noticed had been neatly tucked behind his ear all night, and hands it right over to me as I laugh in disbelief.

"You little fucker, you." Grayson sends him bullet wounds with his eyes as I grab the lighter he left on the small table behind us.

"No harm in a birthday treat, is there?" Mikey sends a wink my way and I roll my eyes. I barely miss weed because I was never addicted as such. It's actually a pretty safe drug if used correctly. Tonnes of health benefits, look it up.