last voicemail

this was inspired by a tiktok video, the one with audioguestbook for weddings.
------------------------------

Tzuyu sneezed as the dust flew around. She groaned, mumbling about how dusty that room was. She picked up the boxes she'd packed and put them on the desk near the pile.

She picked the last box up, revealing whatever was at the back of the box. Other than spider's web and more dust, Tzuyu's attention was caught on an old telephone. She smiled in excitement and immediately picked the phone up to put it on the desk.

"The guestbook!" She muttered. It wasn't just an old phone. It was an audio guestbook that she used at her wedding. Instead of just writing the wishes in the book, the guests left  voicemails for her.

She put it near her ear and listened to the guests voicemail. Her wedding happened a long time ago, yet she never had the time to actually listen to the voicemails her guests leave. Now that Tzuyu and her partner have divorced, she has plenty of time to listen to the voicemails.

She giggled, listening to the voicemails she got. Most of it was congratulating her on her wedding, there's also some drunk wishes that weren't even a wish but more to a pizzas order. There were also her friends who told random jokes. But then she came across a voicemail, whose voice haunted Tzuyu forever.

Her smile dropped instantly.

"Hi Tzuyu.." The voice paused. "I know you can recognise my voice. You look so pretty, lo- Tzu. I came with Dahyun and Chaeyoung..but I ran away the moment I saw you coming to our table." The voice sighed out.

There was a certain anger and grudge burning inside Tzuyu. But there was also a certain pain forming inside her. She recognised the voice. She was longing to hear the voice years ago, now that she heard it, she was hurt. "Jihyo.." Jihyo was her first love, her first girlfriend and the person who broke her. And she was the owner of the voice she's listening to.

"I just want to congratulate you on your wedding. I hope that you will always be happy with her. I hope she treats you right, I hope she won't hurt you like I did." Jihyo giggled. "I disappeared for months, without telling you anything. I'm sorry. I didn't know how to tell you.." Tzuyu could hear Jihyo's voice shaking over the phone.

"Now that you're happy with your choice, maybe it's time to tell you the reason behind my disappearance." Jihyo cleared her throat. "5 years ago, remember when I told you I had a bad fever? I was admitted to the hospital after a week. I was diagnosed with kidney failure.." Jihyo sniffled over the phone. "final stage .." She paused. "It's up to you if you want to believe me.. Maybe you think that I'm just making up excuses to run away from you.." Tzuyu scoffed. "But this is the truth."

"I didn't wanna tell you.. because I know you will sacrifice yourself for me. And I don't want that." Somehow, even after years of not seeing or remembering about Jihyo, Tzuyu knows that she was tearing up over the phone. And her heart still broke everytime she heard Jihyo sniffled.

Jihyo continued. "I need treatment ASAP. so the doctor sent me to the UK for better treatment. That's why I left you." Jihyo sighed out. "It was hard, Tzu. I don't want to leave you. Never wanted to. But I have too, because in my mind, I know that I want to live with you forever."

"Throughout the years, I wasn't getting better. And there was no hope for me anymore. The only way for me to continue living was.." Tzuyu felt her own eyes welling with tears. Her heart ached.

"Kidney transplant. Fortunately, I found a donor. I'm going through the surgery in two weeks." Jihyo's voice trembled over the phone. "After the surgery, I'll be back.. I'll tell you the reason. I'll explain everything to you, again." Jihyo paused. She chuckled.