We Can't Be Friends

Jihyo wasn't the type to regret her decision. She just thinks of wrong decisions as her unlucky moment of life. But she never thought that one decision could cause her to cry herself to sleep most of the night.

She wept the tears falling from her cheeks again as she sat up on her bed. She was still in the dress she went out in.

Tonight was Nayeon's birthday and she had invited all of her friends to celebrate at her house. And as her best friend, of course Jihyo would be there. The only person she'd never thought would be there too was..

Tzuyu, stood beside the mini bar Nayeon had set up for them. She didn't look like she was enjoying her night.

Her heart dropped when she saw Tzuyu. She was in the dress Jihyo bought for her on their anniversary. Her eyes welled with tears and her body ached for Tzuyu's touch. After years of parting away, Jihyo would've never thought they'd met again at Nayeon's birthday party. And it hurts her knowing the sweet moments they had were now just memories.

It didn't stop her from being a menace to herself, knowing that talking to Tzuyu would just have her ugly-crying in her bed later. So she made her way to Tzuyu, with an awkward smile drawn on her lips.

"Hey! It's been so long since I've seen you!" She patted Tzuyu's taller figure. From the look Tzuyu was giving her, she'd say that Tzuyu didn't notice her at all.

"H-hey, yeah.. I've been busy.." Tzuyu replied with an awkward smile. There's a high tension in the room, and suddenly she felt hot. "So how's New York?" She nodded and gave a quick reply. God, it is suffocating.

They talked for a while, letting the time go how they should. It's not like they'd care about it, just like how it was supposed to be. They don't bother joining the others playing games and drinking shots with Nayeon, Jihyo wasn't planning to stay for the night so she'd better stay sober and just catch up with Tzuyu.

Their conversation fell into deep silence after Jihyo ran out of topic to bring up. She stared at her own feet and avoided eye contact with Tzuyu.

"Uh.. I should go. I have a meeting to attend tomorrow.." Tzuyu glanced at her watch. Jihyo nodded. "Of course, you're a busy woman now.." She chuckled.

"Well, don't forget about me!"

"Why can't I forget about you?" Tzuyu quirked her eyebrow. That was odd for her.

"Because we're friends, aren't we? I'm Nayeon's friend, you're Nayeon's friend so technically we're friends! Are we not?"

Tzuyu just nodded. Her heart ached hearing that word came from Jihyo. How can this woman in front of her be okay with how they turned out when she's in pieces? "Of course we are.." She smiled.

Jihyo hugged her and waited for Tzuyu to return the hug. She buried her face in Tzuyu's neck, whiffing her scent. She recognised that scent.

"I'll get going." She broke the hug and looked at Jihyo once again.

"Sure! I'll miss-"

"Jihyo, don't. I don't wanna hear it. I'll get going, tell Nayeon unnie I said happy birthday." She watched Tzuyu made her way out of the main entrance, she swallowed the lump in her throat.

She joined Nayeon and the others and for awhile and called it a night. She waved the good-byes and drove home.

She laid on her bed and thought of her words.

Friends?

Her eyes welled with tears. She doesn't want to be Tzuyu's friend. She regretted her decision of asking to part away, she regretted her words. She ruined it for them.

Tears fell from her eyes rapidly. Mascara stained ran down her cheeks along with her tears. That's the first time she regretted her decision and will always do.

Her phone rang, unknown number displayed on the caller's info. She picked it up and cleared her throat, not wanting the person to know she's been crying.

"H-hey, Jihyo..I can't sleep..Do you..want to talk?" Jihyo smiled at the voice. It was Tzuyu's. And it sounded like she was crying too.

They both knew they can't indeed be friends.