Chapter 4

"Morning cupcake," I say. She eyes the food rather than me. She must be hungry. "I was just about to wake you. Here's breakfast."

"You made me food?" She asks innocently. My eyes squint with a small smile.

"Course. Wouldn't just make myself food and leave you to fend for yourself, would I? Come on, let's go eat." Her eyes find mine, and she smiles. She runs up to me and hugs me, wrapping her arms around my waist. That took me by surprise... All I did was make her breakfast.

"Thank you. No one's ever really done that for me." No one has ever made her breakfast? Not even her parents?

"I'll do it every morning. As long as you don't think my cooking is shit," I say, rubbing her back with a laugh. She lets go and finds her plate, and grabs us forks. No dining table? Maybe that's why the coffee table was so important.

We sit on the couch together, putting on the TV. She puts on a show, never saying a word, just eating her meal. She must not be a morning person. I get it, food first. Then talk.

After about 5 minutes she finishes her food, and I do as well shortly after. The episode finishes, and she stands up and offers to take my plate, reaching her hand out. Still not talking? I wonder what's going on in her mind. I give her my plate and she takes it to the sink, beginning to wash the dishes.

"Anything planned for today?" I ask her, walking up to the counter. She grins with a closed mouth and shakes her head no. She finishes washing the plates and dries her hands. "Y/n, is everything ok?"

∆∆∆

I guess me not speaking is suspicious.

"Nothing's really wrong... It's just - it's hard fathoming everything. I feel like I'm hallucinating for an extended period of time or something. But I don't want to invalidate your feelings... or your existence, for that matter."

You lean your back against the counter, arms crossed. Your eyes stay focused on the ground, brows creased. His footsteps fill your ears and suddenly his legs block your vision to the floor.

"You know your feelings are real too." You look to the side, your head turning with your eyes. But he has so much on his mind already. "Just because there's things I'm worried about doesn't mean you can't talk to me. We're in this together, remember?" A hand is placed on your shoulder, and you lean your cheek on it, keeping your eyes away. "Remember what I told you last night?"

"Mhm." I still can't get rid of this guilt feeling. I'd be long gone if I was in his situation. On the other hand, I think it's going to be okay. Because we are in this together. "You always been this good at pep talks?" You say, looking up with a smile. He returns the face, and rubs his thumb slowly, his eyes piercing through you.

"Guess I'm a natural," he says quietly.

"Thank you, Leon."

"Anytime." He says, letting his hand fall. His eyes linger on yours and he puts his hands in his pockets. "Y'know it's pretty obvious by now, but I think you're starting to grow on me." A giggle escapes your lips.

"Hah, is that so? Well, I guess I could say the same. You did make me food, after all," you tease.

A knock on the door interrupts your terrible flirting. The both of you whip your heads in the direction of your front door.

"Stay here, I'll get it," he says, starting to walk towards the door.

"Absolutely not!" You whisper. "I don't know who is on the other side, just go to the room, please." He sighs and nods, raising his hands in defeat.