Chapter 28

"I can't tell if you're being serious or not."

"Jill, I'm not kidding! Ugh, the one time you're not there with me. When I say my sister half teleported through the floor, I mean she did."

Jill gives Chris a confused face, still in disbelief at his words. After returning from the mission he did research on portals and anything related to it, only to find nothing. Stumped, he brought the situation to Jill.

"Ok, ok. So what you're telling me is there's a portal in Leon's house to the world he's in now? And he's just fine with being there?"

"Yeah." He says, dead serious.

"What did Claire say about it?"

"She... Wants to contact him again. But she said she can't go completely through, but I'm not entirely comfortable with her hanging through the floor headfirst."

"No shit, especially if it closes in on her. This is so weird," she says, mind boggled.

"We can't take this to the DSO. They'll chase after him in a world they don't even know. I say we just leave him be, but stay in contact for Claire's sake."

"That might be the best option here."

"Jill?"

"Yeah Chris?"

"You think he found peace? Like, there's a place out there for us, where we can live safely?"

"I would imagine that's why he chose to stay, hon. But here, our job is to make this place safe. For everyone."

∆∆∆

What the fuck is that? Or- who?

I walk up to what looks like a blurry outline of a figure, the silhouette becoming more clear. Nothing surrounds me but the darkness, this person pulling me in. Wait, it's y/n! That figure, it has to be her.

Water begins to flood in, my footsteps splashing it around. I run to her, but I'm slowed by the water.

"Baby!"

She never turns, just stands with her back to me. At this point my waist is submerged, and I begin to swim. Jesus, this water is freezing.

I feel myself struggling to swim, and force myself to dive under completely. Opening my eyes, I see her, finally almost in reach. I open my mouth to call to her, but water fills my lungs. I choke, failing to swim for air.

Suddenly she's in front of me, holding my shoulders, shaking them. I look to her eyes, but as I stare into them, my worst fear comes to life.

I watch in horror as her skin falls away, turning grey as it peels off. She mouths something, but I hear no words. Her eyes go bloodshot, the light I always saw gone.

"Leon, please, wake up!"

I take a deep inhale as my eyes open wide and I sit up quickly. Y/n sits up with me, clinging to my arm and rubbing my back as I catch my breath. I turn to her and grab her by the cheeks with both my hands, feeling her face in the dark.

"Babe?"

"Thank god you're alright," I whisper, wrapping my arms around her and holding her tight.

"Are you ok? You were choking and weren't waking up, you gave me a near heart attack." She holds me back, her fingertips slightly digging into the flesh of my back from her panic.