Toluene

"So Ryo, how come you don't ever like..make bad stuff happen?" You asked as you turned a corner down some hallway heading to your class.

"I don't really do stuff because I'm lazy." He answered after a long sigh. You lifted a brow and chuckled, "Because you're lazy ?" You repeated. You heard a hum in response. You shook your head before reaching your classroom. From what you recalled, it was something about a logical reasoning class, certainly not a class you took from your other school.

"What even is this class again?" Ryo asked as you opened the door to find some unfamiliar people sitting in that room. The teacher turned to you, "Are you Y/n?" He asked. You nodded your head before he told you to pick a seat.

You felt a tap on your shoulder and you turned around to find a guy in a uniform slightly similar to Yuta's sitting behind you. "Are you a first year student?" The guy asked quietly. You nodded slowly, "What's it to you?" You questioned. The guy hummed in response, "I thought they normally didn't let first year students in here. You must be special." He commented. You rolled your eyes and turned back around.

After that, the teacher described the class to you as a free-space for intellectuals such as yourself to freely talk about stuff that comes to your mind. You didn't see how that was even considered a subject, but if you didn't have to do any work, it was fine with you.

The other students whispered for you to come over to their group since they were curious as to how a first year student got into this class.

"So like, what's the deal with you? Are you like some really smart first year?" One guy asked. You knit your eyebrows together, "Yeah. But I don't really like it when it's pointed out. Y'know, since it gives people the wrong impression about you, that you probably go around boasting about it or thinking that you're better than everyone else. Which certainly isn't it for me." You explained after groaning. The group looked at each other.

"That's a good way of looking at it. But think of it this way," One girl in the center started. "You start a new middle school, nobody knows your name yet but the teachers are fascinated with you for your intelligence." She said before you cut her off with, "That immediately puts shade on you." You added. She chuckled at your retort. "Bit of a smart mouth, huh? Anyways, the teachers are fascinated and they ask the school district to have you take an IQ test. You get a really high score, and they give you the option of you skipping a grade."

"And your decision somehow determines whether you think you're superior or not?" You asked, folding your arms. She smiled before continuing. "Not necessarily, though that's part of it. What you do with that knowledge determines that. I call it the 'Light Yagami Effect.' Yes I know it's based off of an anime character that you might or might not have heard of, but it's where you obtain such a great achievement that you start thinking higher and higher of yourself."

"So basically a god complex?" You summarized the effect she described. She let out a hearty chuckle before looking at the rest of the group. "Alright, welcome to the group that you didn't ask to be in." She said before getting up and walking past you, patting your shoulder. You looked at her as she walked up to the teachers desk to bother him. You shook your head before turning to the rest of the group.

-

-

-

Walking out of that classroom, you headed straight for the dining hall where you knew the other first years would be.

"Oh, hey Y/n!" Panda chirped as you walked in the room. You smiled back at him before you sat down next to him. "So what new class do you have now?" Panda asked as he handed you a cupcake. You lifted a brow then looked at him as you took the cupcake, "What's this for?"

"Gojo handed out cupcakes last period but he saw that you weren't there so we literally argued with him to save you the last one." Maki answered grumpily. You lifted your brow once again and smiled incredulously.

"No way, did she seriously fight Gojo just so you could have the last cupcake?" Ryo questioned, earning a small giggle from you.

Quiet. She probably wasn't the only one, I'll bet.

"We? Who's we? It was only you." Panda corrected, earning a snicker from Yuta and Toge. Maki sent death glares to both of them before turning back to Panda. " No, dumbass. It was all four of us." She grumbled through gritted teeth. Panda just blinked. "You can't brainwash us about something that happened 20 minutes ago, Maki." You and Inumaki burst out laughing, and Maki's face was turning red from embarrassment.

"QUIET! BOTH OF YOU! I DON'T WANT ANOTHER SOUND FROM YA FOR THE REST OF THE DAY!" She barked as both you and Toge shrunk back mockingly.

"Oooh. Scarrryyy." You said bluntly before sitting up straight. She huffed before going back to her food. "Anyways, what's your new class?" Panda asked again. You frowned slightly before huffing, "It's not even a real class. It's just a room where a bunch of smart people get to sit around and basically do nothing."

"And 'do nothing' means...?"

"Literally means do nothing." You deadpanned as Panda dropped his jaw. "WHAT?! YOU BASICALLY GET A FREE PERIOD WHILE WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH GOJO'S BLABBERIN?!"

"THAT'S NOT FAIR!"

"Shake."

You chuckled as Maki, Toge and Panda all berated you endlessly. Yuta looked between you and the other three while giggling, "Guys, it's nothing to worry about. Besides, we have Y/n with us every other class period." He commented. Maki, Toge and Panda turned to him with dropped jaws.

"YOU'RE DEFENDING HER?!"

"OHH I GET IT! YOU LIIIIKE HER, DONTCHA?!"

"WHAT?! NO NO NO! I MEAN- DON'T GET ME WRONG, Y/N'S COOL AND ALL BUT I DON'T LIKE HER LIKE THAT!"

"HAHAHAHAA! YUTA LIKES Y/NNN! YUTA LIKES Y/NNN!" Panda teased while dancing around Yuta who was a blushing mess. You chuckled while cringing to yourself.

"Oh damn. This brings up a challenge.." Ryo added. In your mind's eye you pictured a purple blob sitting on a rock while stroking his chin, making you chuckle.

"Are you seriously pretending that I'm that bruting statue guy sitting on a rock except it's me instead of the bruting guy?"

Yes now shut up.

You looked back over to find Maki strangling the dogshit out of Panda. She even took the bottom side of her fork and hit him in the head. You lifted a brow.

"Dude she totally likes you." Ryo commented as you tilted your head before widening your eyes. "NO SHE DOES NOT!" You yelled out loud, making everybody turn their heads towards you.

"Huh? Who doesn't?" Maki asked as she got up from strangling Panda.

"Oh damnnn. You yelled that out loud." Ryo commented as Maki finally stood in front of you. You decided to stand up back. You smirked as she frowned at the eye contact the two of you were currently making.

"Don't even worry about it." You said, still smiling. Her eyebrows knit together even further, "No, tell me." She demanded. You chuckled before stepping back, "Nope. Sorry, that's between me and my little curse." You said before making your way back to your spot. Her frowning eyes following you the entire time. It was a moment before she felt her cheeks burn up and her heartbeat speed up just a bit.

"Y/n! Y/n! Don't be shy! You can tell me!" Panda chirped as he quickly got up and scrambled next to you. You scooched away, "No thanks. Like I said, it's between me and my curse." You said, standing up now.

"Anyways, I'm gonna go train."

"Yeah. In the books." Maki shot back before she sat back down at her spot. You rolled your eyes and kept walking.