Stigma

You sighed at the popsicle sitting in your mouth, looking up at the city before you. "It's still so hot, and it's almost October." You commented after removing the popsicle. Yachi looked at you with a soft smile. This was the first time in.. years.. since you've seen a smile on his face.

"Japan's weather is quite bipolar," He replied before biting his popsicle. Your forehead creased as you looked down at your phone sitting next to you. You wanted so desperately to run back to Jujutsu Tech and run straight into Maki's arms, but you can't. It's only been a week since the mission started, and it felt like a year. Time seems to move more slowly when you're without Maki, maybe that's why it felt like forever when you distanced yourself from Maki last year.

You happened to look up from your phone and notice a familiar person walking down the sidewalk...

"Shami?!" You questioned as you got up from your spot. Shami looked away from her phone and over at you. "Y/n? Whatcha doin' in Harajuku?" She questioned while lifting a brow and smiling. "I'm spending time with my cousin Yachi over there," You answered while pointing a thumb back at the lonely Yachi scrolling on his phone.

"So, uh...how's Maki doing?" You asked, twiddling your thumbs. Shami chuckled lightly. "She's fine. She seems to be more apathetic than usual, but nothing out of the ordinary."

You lifted a brow. "Apathetic?" You questioned before frowning slightly. "Y'know..not showin' any emotion? Like whatsoever?" She suggested while moving her hands around. You frowned even more for a second.

"...This mission is beginning to sound like a mistake." You commented then turned back around to sit with Yachi. Shami hummed while walking over with you.

"You must miss Maki."

"Of course I do! She's my girlfriend, and I have to go the rest of this mission without seeing her. It's lonely without her.." It's lonely without Ryo as well. The entire week, you and him haven't spoken once. You've resorted to staying up late just staring at the wall. You wondered if it was because he was busy using the curse to make you and him merge. He said you'd still hear his voice in your head, was he lying? Did he say it just to make sure you'd do it? Yachi noticed how every day you'd be fading. Ryo's been with you since day one for the past year and now you're going on this personal hunt and he's not there.

Shami seemed to notice it too just now. "It seems you miss more than just Maki. What's wrong?" She questioned while sitting down next to you. You frowned. "I miss Ryo."

I'm too young for this, you thought as you threw the popsicle stick out into the street. I shouldn't be doing this. I'm supposed to be a regular 17 year old hanging out with her friends, not worrying about some special grade curse.

"Shami, I..kinda don't wanna be a Jujutsu sorcerer anymore." It wasn't a lie, the only reason you still are is because of Maki. If you didn't have her, you would've dropped out a long time ago. You didn't want to face the scary things in the Jujutsu world, part of you regrets going with your father to that crime scene, and going down that alleyway to find Ryo, and meeting Gojo. You didn't regret meeting Maki, though. Honestly, you thought it was the best thing that ever happened in your life.

She lifted a brow. "You don't wanna be a Jujutsu sorcerer anymore? Why?"

"It's tiring, mentally and physically! Last year, I used to love waking up for my classes and going on missions or training with my friends. Now I dread facing another day knowing I don't have the mental capacity for it. I feel like an old soul at 17 years old."

Her shoulders slumped. "What's making you stay?" She asked while you let out a huff. "Maki."

She smiled slightly. "That's how I know you need a therapist."

"Shut up."

"I'm serious. The Jujutsu world needs you, though that sounds stupid since the Jujutsu world needs every Jujutsu sorcerer." She stated. And there goes that weight on your shoulders, again.

"That's the thing, Shami. It feels like I'm constantly being pressured by everybody. It makes me tired. I don't wanna feel like that! I want to keep living my life being a free person, not caged by the Jujutsu world!"

Then, you began thinking of Maki. How would she feel if you did leave the Jujutsu world? You'd sometimes theorize that you could never really leave the Jujutsu world. It always follows you around, you could still see curses, feel their presence, and remember your life as a Jujutsu sorcerer.

"I don't want to force myself to want to be part of the Jujutsu world."