The Beach

"Satoru, why are we going to the beach? It's literally December!"

You heard Maki complain as the five of you plus Gojo walked off the campus and towards the beach. You kept your head low as your flip flops kept lightly smacking against your feet as you took each step down the mountain.

"Becausssse, it's the time of the year where the beach is the least busiest! So us 6 can enjoy it to ourselves as much as we'd like!" He chirped before speeding up towards the sandy biome.

"But what about the water?!" Yuta whined before adjusting the towel over his shoulder. "Yeah! Won't it be like Sub Zero?!" Panda added.

"Tough it out! If ya' can't stand a little cold water then what're ya doin' here as a Jujutsu sorcerer?!" Maki shot back as a response, not even acknowledging you, who has a heavy heart as well as a heavy head. Questions filling your head made your skull gain weight, figuratively.

You thought it was just like the saying, 'you reap what you sow,' or 'taste of your own medicine,' what Maki's doing. But this was even worse than what you did. You still get to see her, but she acts as if you're not even there; a memory long forgotten. To see her be herself without even sending a single glance at you sent you into a spiral of silence, more silence than what you gave her.

Whenever you'd make a point during a discussion in class, Maki would always counteract it with her own statement. It annoyed you, to think she didn't even acknowledge your point.

"HAH! THAT'S THE SPIRIT! NOW, LAST ONE THERE'S A ROTTEN EGGGG!" He cheered before running at light speed towards the sand, with Panda and Toge following after him. Now it was just You, Yuta and Maki that was left walking.

"Yuta, are you gonna throw Toge in the water for him taking your milk yesterday?" Maki asked, turning to the boy next to you, still not sparing you a glance. He looked at her with his usual nervous expression. "Um...no. I wasn't drinking it anyways." He answered softly. Maki grunted in response, "You're no fun." She faced forward. Yuta took the initiative to turn to you with a grin.

"What about you, Y/n? What're you gonna do while we're at the beach?"

You looked up at Yuta, and he saw the dark eye bags underneath your eyelids, your droopy eyes and frowning mouth. He felt the shadowy storm cloud sitting above your head and it was about to drift over to him before he said something. Maki just sped up towards the beach as soon as she heard Yuta utter your name.

Maki didn't want to ignore you, but it's what you get for avoiding her for so long, to act so nonchalant last week as if you hadn't been ignoring everybody for as long as you did. It wasn't evident on her face, but a small part of her felt the tiniest bit of remorse for treating you this way. But, she already said she was done. Nothing more could be said about it.

You and Yuta made eye contact for a few more moments before you looked away and let your head drop once again. He blinked in surprise at your mood. He knew that you and Maki stopped talking, but he didn't know it would take this much of a toll on you.

That moment, he made it his mission to get you and Maki to talk again. A mission he absolutely cannot fail.

"...So, could you help me with a project that I'm working on? It's due by the end of this month and I haven't even started on it." He asked nicely. He didn't like it, but he had to lie about him starting on it himself, he knew very well he was in that group project with Toge and Maki. You looked at him with the same expression from a few moments ago.

"What's it on?" You asked with a low tone. Now Yuta was sure that you got a little depressed over the week.

"Uhm...it's a model on Romeo and Juliet."