Ambition

You and Yuta were sitting in an empty room with only 5 desks, talking about life and whatnot. All the sorcerers who were 1st grade and up and have already graduated were sent to a meeting about Geto starting a war, from what you recalled when Gojo gave you a summary that you were not at all going to trust if you heard it after anybody else's explanation.

The orange-cream color light made itself at home in the currently empty room, coloring the wooden walls a different shade. Yuta sat back in his chair and sighed, "I can't believe that tomorrow's Christmas." He commented before looking at you, sitting on the desk to his left. You looked at him while resting your chin on your hand.

"Yeah. My mother is wildly disappointed in me not coming home for Christmas. I told her that was out of my control, but she's stubborn as always and wouldn't take no for an answer." You replied before chuckling. He nodded with a smile. "Did you wish for anything? Gojo said that since we've done good this semester, he gets to be the Jujutsu world's Santa Claus this year for us and get us anything we want." He said, making you snicker. "Gojo? Being Santa Claus?" Yuta nodded.

"He certainly has the hair for it, but he looks like he doesn't have even half the meat on his bones for it." You commented, earning a giggle from Yuta. "But, no I haven't. I haven't really thought about what I want for Christmas, never have. I always thought that spending a whole year thinking about what you want for Christmas was bull." You explained with a huff. He nodded before looking down at his desk.

A few seconds later, the door bust open, courtesy of Maki's foot. "Oi, what're you two doing here? Classes are canceled for the week." She said while taking a seat on top of a desk. You and Yuta gave your attentions to her. "We're just talking." You answered, and she looked at you.

"There's no one at the dorms, so I just came here and found Y/n." Yuta chimed in. She huffed before imitating you and rested her chin on her hand, "The second years are in Kyoto. Toge's helping the 3rd and 4th years in Shinjuku, and the principal likes Panda, so he's probably in Shinjuku, too." She stated with a huff. You and Yuta nodded before comfortable silence rolled around.

...

"Ask." Maki broke the silence. You and Yuta looked up at her.

"Huh?"

"What do you mean?"

"You two've been wondering, right? Why I'm such a 'failure." She restated, Yuta scratched the back of his head, and you got an idea. You wanted to say 'is it because you don't have cursed energy?' but you thought that wouldn't be right for you to say.

She sighed before beginning, "The Zen'in family. One of the big three Jujutsu families. Do either of you know what the minimum requirement is for being a Jujutsu sorcerer?" She asked. Yuta put his hand to his mouth and frowned while thinking for a minute.

"It's to be able to 'see' curses." She answered for herself. "Oh."

"Civilians can sometimes see curses in certain situations, like at death's door. I can't even see curses without these lame glasses," She took off her glasses. "The tools I use are already infused with cursed energy. It doesn't come from me." She finished. You nodded, even though you already knew it beforehand.

"Oh...so that's why you couldn't tell me anything about channeling cursed energy into my katana?" Yuta asked, and Maki nodded in response.

"But, that gave me an excuse to leave that piece of shit family! The food was disgusting, the rooms were small, and it was crawling with creepy old men! It was horrible!" She exclaimed. You huffed. "So that's why you told us not to call you by your last name?"

"Yeah." She answered before the only thing you heard was the sound of Yuta's loud breathing.

"Why does he breathe so loud?" Ryo asked, making you chuckle.