On the 8th Day of Christmas .. GureShin

HOPE YOU A JOLLY OLD READ

BE A STAR AND LEAVE A VOTE PLEASE

Prompt: Forgetting it's Christmas/Mistletoe. 

They knew it was December. Knew it was the middle of winter by how cold the season was. Taking notice over warmer uniforms being needed and how everyone had gained a sniffle once or twice already. 

Hot drinks being passed out while on watch or during a long mission outside. Fighting styles were sluggish, lacking and slowed. The cold weaken everyone's response. It meant more dead or those lucky enough to leave just wounded. Vampires thrived in winter, knowing the humans struggled in the colder weather. 

It meant that anyone that was too busy on focusing to survive yet another day in their surviving not living lives, didn't notice what time of year it was. Christmas wasn't thought over much anymore. No decorations or fancy foods to be spoiled with. Gifts came in the sign of friends swapping supplies that each other needed or passing on some extra uniform snatched from the dead. Maybe shifts swapped when one was sick or missions given to another squad that needed the points from completing a mission. 

Hence Shinya and Guren found themselves on a random, crumbled rooftop away from the safety of base. No snow to be seen but it felt cold enough that someone would catch the nipping of frost bite. Limbs turning numb and noses red as the ground grows a layer of frost. 

"The vampires aren't so different from humans. They just want to live, like we do. They hunt for sport as we once did. Their greed for power is as addictive as it is for us. Humans are as monstrous as we see Vampires. We're only upset because we're now standing as the prey instead of the predator" Shinya quietly spoke his thoughts out loud, staring out towards the destroyed city before them. Feeling as if he was standing on the side-lines of this war and struggling to tell who was the heroes and who were the villains.

Guren stayed silent and stared at his friend's back from where he leant against the wall of the roof access door. Frowning as he wondered what happened to his cheerfully smiling friend from when they were children. 

The child who loved and adored snow, even if it was solely because he thought he'd be able to hide among the soft and cold snow. To vanish within the fallen snowflakes and escape from all those he didn't want to be found from.

Now stood a man who had accepted that the snow couldn't be a comfort blanket as he had once hoped so long ago. 

"Maybe it's time to turn extinct like all the animals we've forced to become extinct before. It's fate" Shinya carelessly admitted with a sad smile, fingers stroking over where his cursed gear was tucked in his trousers pocket. 

Guren sighed, glancing down at the ground before pushing away from the wall he was leaning against. Walking towards his oldest friend, his love that he'd never forget and would forever wish to keep. He made a mistake, allowed teenage hormones to send him chasing after the wrong person and he's paid the price for it. He can't undo his mistake but he can stay being true to the love that had bloomed long before he knew over it.