On the 14th Day of Christmas .. MakoHaru

HOPE YOU A JOLLY OLD READ

BE A STAR AND LEAVE A VOTE PLEASE

Prompt: Ice skating. 

Haru had been sulking over not being able  to swim all season. He's taking longer baths more often and barely leaves his home unless he truly needed something from the store. And even than it's mostly Makoto dragging him outside and watching him glare towards the snow as if it had murdered his grandmother right before his eyes. 

It was heart breaking to watch his boyfriend sulk and pout for most of winter. 

He wanted to be a good boyfriend and cheer him up but the team could only have so many joint practices with Samezuka Academy. Rin and Sousuke both seemed happy to let the Iwatobi squad come after team practice and swim with the two. It was more of needing permission from an adult to be on the school grounds after school hours and practice hours. 

Permission they weren't able to get seven days a week for all of winter. Makoto understood, Rei and Nagisa had both understood but Haru took that as a personal insult.

Makoto had tried Goro after helping to teach his latest group of children to swim. But sadly the man was closing the pool for winter. The reopened swimming pool was still young and unfunded. Goro couldn't keep the pool open during winter and he was worried over the children that came would catch colds from not drying probably. Sick children meant angry parents and upset parents meant bad business. Meaning no indoor pool from him either. 

Makoto really was desperate to find some form of joy for his boyfriend. He'd search and made as many phone calls possible to nearby swimming teams with indoor pools. Even public pools that might allow a few teenagers to stay late and practice. But he kept finding dead ends. 

Until he realised that maybe the large gathering of water didn't need to be swam in. 

Ice. 

It was water. 

Haru could be as graceful on the ice as he was in the pool. 

It was as close as he'd get his boyfriend to swim freely. 

So, Thursday after school, a bag packed with warm winter clothes slung over one shoulder, he dragged his boyfriend to the skating ring. He knew it's be quiet and less busy due to it still being a school night. 

Shoving his boyfriend to change in the toilets before doing the same himself, their uniforms kept safe and clean in the backpack that held their winter clothing. He got them a locker to put their bags in before hiring a pair of ice skates. 

He's pretty sure they could both enjoy a couple of hours being on frozen water and letting themselves skate freely. 

To be walking on water, moving however they wanted and feeling the nip of cold that normally came with water. 

They might not end up soaked afterwards but they'd get as much of an experience as they would swimming. 

Or Makoto had hoped. 

Haru was graceful and flawless, everyone had whispered and watched in awe as he skated one with the ice. 

Makoto on the other hand was clinging to the railings for his dear life, knees trembling as his feet kept trying to force him into the splits whenever he tried standing to skate. 

He's got a wet bum from falling on the ice so much and he knew he'd be covered in bruises time morning comes too. 

Skating was not as easy as the internet had promised him and he was in complete distress since the moment he told Haru to go ahead on the ice while still tying his own skates up. 

This romantic and fun date was in ruins. 

Makoto wanted to cry but he's already been laughed at by a child when he first fell over once stepping on the ice. 

He's pretty sure the parent group skating a little ahead had been pitying him since he fell over the fourth time in a single minute. 

It was embarrassment. 

"Makoto.." Haru's soft voice popped up from no where as the shorter teen came to a stop beside his boyfriend. 

"Having fun?" Makoto asked with a joyful smile, trying his best to not show he was struggling with the ice and risk ruining his boyfriend's fun. 

"Hmm" Haru hummed back, giving a shy nod and showing he was indeed having a good time. 

"That's great. We've got another twenty minutes left to skate if you want to carry on. Or are you getting cold?" Makoto smiled back, giving an encouraging nod for his boyfriend to carry on before turning concern as he feared that it may be getting too cold for him now. 

"That railing has an dent of your hand. You haven't left it" Haru commented as he glanced down to the railing the other was still tightly gripping at. 

"I have" Makoto argued back, he's left it plenty of times just to fall over and crawl back over to help himself get back up again. So, he had indeed left the railings. 

"Want to leave?" Haru asked, glancing towards the ice rink gate just a few meters away for them to step off the ice with. 

"No" Makoto snapped back in an panic, not wanting to ruin his boyfriend's fun. 

"But-" Haru started to say back before being cut off. 

"No" Makoto firmly huffed back, shaking his head like a child. 

"I'm not having fun anymore" Haru sighed as he glanced down at his skates and wanted to leave. 

"W-What? Why?" Makoto cried back with worry and panic, wondering what had gone wrong that his boyfriend wasn't enjoying himself anymore. 

"It's not fun skating with you. Everyone else got to hold hands why the skate but us" Haru quietly muttered back, sounding embarrass over his complaint and his cheeks turning a hint of rosy that wasn't from the chill in the air. 

"Let's buy some mackerel on the way home" Makoto smiled back gently, wanting to kiss his boyfriend but not daring to lean forward or let go of the railings. 

"I'd like  that" Haru admitted with a nod. 

Haru ended up taking both his boyfriend's hands, skating backwards towards the gate and helping his boyfriend to slide across the ice for the last few meters. A shy smile on his lips as his boyfriend gave a delighted laugh over skating, actual skating without him falling over. 

As well as Haru growing rather smug as his boyfriend clung to him as he's always done when he's scared. Holding on tight as they left the ice and stepped to the hard ground outside of the ice rink. 

The two soon changing their skates for their shoes before heading home. Hand in hand and slipping on a few bits of ice. Gaining their magical ice skating dream of being all loving and couple like while on ice.