Prologue

It's interesting where talent can get you. Where special skills and personality alone can place you in society. Luckily I was put into the more advanced position, framed as one of the youngest Officers to achieve stardom. But, there was a sense of wonder of all the different future possibilities I could've achieved. If I didn't get any of these special talents, would I still be training? Factionless?

 "Are you okay, Adelaide? You're daydreaming again," my partner, Lucas, asked with concern.

 I shook my head, breaking myself from my distracted state, "Yeah, I'm fine, just thinking."

 He responded back with a nod, and leaned back to try and get some shut eye. Hm. Well, regardless, it shouldn't matter to me why he was so concerned. Right now, it is time to focus on the mission. Well, not necessarily a mission, more like a change of lifestyle.

 *September 29th: 7:30 a.m.*

 As I zipped up my jacket and looked through my bags to make sure I had the necessities needed for the upcoming mission, a sudden knock sounded at my door. Was it time to leave already?

  "Come in," I said, looking around the bedpost to get a clear view of who it was. A familiar face came through the door and stood in the doorway, a pleasant smile resting on his face.

 "Good morning, sir," I said, saluting to show respect for the senior.

 "Gah, popper, why you gotta' do that every time you see me? Loosen up!" My adoptive father questioned, disregarding my tough exterior.

 Right then, I relaxed from my stiff state, and ran toward him, giving him the biggest bear hug I could muster up. My father-who is actually my uncle-and I are fairly close, due to the challenges we came face-to-face with.

 A roaring laugh erupted, creating a vibrating noise throughout the room. You see, my father, Sam Quinlin, is the head leader of the Dauntless Special Ops Corps, a highly elite group that takes out special government services and conducts dangerous investigations. So, yes, we primarily work with Abnegation, mainly Marcus. However, at the moment, he is in the process of becoming the official leader of Dauntless, which is a huge honor.

 Releasing his hold, his green eyes looked deep into my brown ones. "Now," he started, "I need you to listen to me very closely."

 I nodded happily, willing to do any mission my adoptive father put me up too. 

"I have received orders from the Secretary of the Dauntless Faction that he wants you to go back to the Dauntless Training Facility and-"

 "Why would they need me there?"

 "They want you to back there to pass on your skills to the new incoming trainers and initiates."

 I breathed in and sighed in disappointment, "What about the mission I was supposed to carry out today?"

 "A new team has been put on it. Both you and Lucas will be leaving within an hour. Am I clear?"

 "Yes, sir."

 A sad smile flashed across his face, his right hand rubbing my head in assurance.

 "Don't worry, you will be okay... If you need any backup or any help whatsoever you let me know!"

 I smile, giving one last hug. I knew the reality of this chat, and it would probably end up with me not seeing my father for a while, just like how it was every time I went on any mission. 

 "Alright, I will see you later, okay?"That was the last thing he said to me before he left, leaving me in my room to shed a few tears at the fact that I wouldn't see him for a while. And that I wouldn't be able to be around when he was made leader of our Faction.

 *Around 11 a.m.: on train to the facility*

The sun's rays hit my face as I dozed off while looking out of the train car door across from me. The Special Corps building isn't near the training center, so I knew it was going to be a long trip. It's been almost three hours, and we are getting close to where we need to be. I still don't have the slightest understanding why they need me to help train. Don't they have enough skilled associates to train them?

 "So, Adelaide," I heard my partner start, "are you ready to go back to the training facility?"

 I looked at him with a smile, "Actually, I am. It's going to be weird though, since it's been almost 5 years since I've been there."

 Lucas smiled, "I am pleased to announce that we have made it to our destination. Welcome back to the Dauntless Training Facility."