Chapter Eleven- Explaining to Four

"Adelaide?"

I was awoken by Four's voice calling out for me. Shit, I fell asleep.

I groaned, "I'm in the net."

Fast-paced footsteps echoed throughout the room. In a matter of seconds the net tipped over a little bit and became unbalanced due to Four's frame.

I didn't turn around to face him. For one, I knew I was going to be in trouble for not being there to help with simulations. Two, I was embarrassed by my actions.

Four read my mind, "Don't worry about the simulations. Lucas took your place. You're fine."

I breathed in heavily and turned around to face him. Both of us stared into each other's eyes,

"Talk to me. About your fears."

I nodded, composing myself.

"My first fear was obviously thunderstorms. When I was six a huge thunderstorm came through, and a flash of lightning hit a powerline near our home. A huge fire started and killed three people who were in close range, one of them being a dear friend to my father. And I've always been afraid that that would happen to my father and I. The second fear was disappointing my father. From when I first started training, he saw potential within me, and said that if was able to show significant improvement, then he would consider me for his leadership role. He would always bring me down, which caused me to train and fight harder. And I didn't want to end up being a failure."

"Do you know where you stand? For the leadership role?" Four asked.

I shrugged, "From what I know, I have a guaranteed spot for the position. But, they can always replace me when they find someone else."

Four nodded, and I went on.

"The third was being taken advantage sexually. It was unfortunate that it was Lucas because the last time I did this it was Eros. I'm not particularly comfortable enough with my body to take part in sex, but I'm not accustomed to never do it. It never mattered anyway because we were taught to stimulate our hormones and resist that kind of thing. Plus, I don't like to be forced to do something."

I stopped talking as I thought about the fourth fear. I hated talking about Eros because of the pain that's behind the story.

"If you don't want to talk about the fourth one, you don't have to. I can tell there is a lot of pain behind it," Four said, rubbing my shoulder.

I shook my head. It's time that someone knew who he was.

I started talking shakily, "Eros was the instructor of my group when I first came into the Special Ops training. At first, we would only speak when he had something to either commend or criticize me. However, he kept a close eye on me specifically, so he obviously saw something in me. It was like that for the entire training process. After our graduation, Eros bumped up to the Officer position and was able to pick anyone to be his partner. He chose me because of my drive and improvement. A year into our partnership, we were know as the 'unstoppable duo'. All of our missions would be achieved flawlessly, and with that Eros and I became fairly close. On a mission, he asked me if I would be his girlfriend, but I told him no because I wanted to focus on the mission. But soon after, I gave him the answer he wanted. And it was a year later that he took me to a secluded area in Amity and asked me to be his wife.

"I graciously said yes. We decided to push the wedding to the following year, since we were so busy with high class missions. Two weeks before our wedding day, we were permitted to an assassination mission. As always it was achieved. He went to wander around the car, telling me his plans he had in mind when we arrived at the compound. It was a couple seconds later that I had realized the blood that stained his vest. I tried to save him, but nothing I did worked. Those words he said in the fear were the last words he said to me before he passed out. I immediately took him to the hospital when we arrived, only to receive the news that he had passed away an hour later due to blood loss. The fear was experiencing his death again."

Tears started to spill out of my eyelids. The cold, unemotional face of Eros flashed into my mind as I spoke of him.

I felt Four's thumb wipe away the tears that slowly went down my cheek. I reached into my jacket to pull out a silver chain with a ring hanging from it. It was white gold with a garnet stone in the middle, and little diamonds and garnet stones creating an infinity shape.

"This is the engagement ring."

Four studied for a little bit, giving me a small smile in return.

"It suits you."

I smiled a little and placed the necklace back where I had put it.

"It must feel good to get all of that off your chest."

"It does to an extent," I stated. "I don't normally enjoy talking about his death, but when I finally do, I feel glad that someone else will know of his legacy."

A small silence took over before I continued on.

"Now, the last two fears were a little unexpected. Even though I had always had a fear of choosing between people and ridicule, the fact that you, Eric, and Lucas were in it threw me off."

Four sighed, "Do you think the reason why the choosing one came out like that because you are interested in us?"

I froze. Maybe that was the reason why I got nervous when I saw Lucas half naked, when I kissed Eric and got the butterflies, and when I got shy when Four and I held hands on our way back to the compound.

Four's thumb came to trace my cheekbone, "Look, whatever the cause, don't overthink it. I will say this, though. The things I said in the fear are surprisingly true in real life. I won't make you choose. You do what makes you happy."

I smiled and nodded, "Thank you."

My arms wrapped around his neck and pulled him close to me in an embrace. He was tense at first, but soon warmed up to it and wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his head in my neck. However, it was weird at first because he was tense, and it reminded me of hugging a cinderblock.

He whispered in my ear, "Are you hungry? Dinner is going to start in a little bit."

I nodded, my stomach grumbling on time.

Four chuckled and rolled away from me, lowering the net so I could have better access of getting out. He helped me out of the net, and stood close to me as we walked out the room, ready to eat some grub.