Chapter Seven- Pulling a Few Strings

Beep!

I woke up to the annoying sound of my alarm clock. I turned my body to see what time it was.

6:30.

I groaned, smacking the snooze button and burying my face back into my pillow.

"Rise and shine sleepy head!" Lucas shouted, opening the makeshift curtains we made from the bed sheets we weren't going to use.

I sighed, "No."

A noticeable shift in the bed was felt. Hands made their way to grab my shoulders, slightly shaking my body.

"Come on! Lauren said that Eric has an outside activity for them to do, and he wants us to observe. It's going to be the initiate's major point gainer."

I rolled over, "It will also be the dealbreaker for others."

Lucas nodded his head sadly. If this was going to be major in points, than there is a guaranteed spot for being Factionless for the bottom initiates.

"Rules are rules, Adelaide. There is nothing we can do," Lucas said, walking into my bathroom to brush his teeth.

I huffed, getting up and putting on a fresh outfit.

"I know that, but don't you think it is a little unfair? They come in, wanting to be a member of Dauntless, and work so hard to impress them. Then they are hit with the fact that they may have to leave right away? It's not fair!"

Lucas spit into the sink before talking, "You're right. But again there is nothing we can do about it."

Just then, an idea popped into my head.

"I think there is someone we may be able to talk to," I said.

Lucas looked at me with a confused expression, "Who?"

"My dad."

After Lucas finished up in the bathroom, he came and sat right next to me while I put on my combat boots, and his face showed me he was not pleased with the idea.

"What makes you think he will help you? Or even consider it?"

"Well, a good amount of people are retiring this year, so maybe we can have the lower ranked initiates try out a diplomatic approach to Dauntless."

Still on the subject, both of us exited our apartment in a high debate. Our argument on how this could be pulled off lasted for most of our walk.

"I don't know, Adelaide. You can try, but I don't think he will budge."

I stifled a chuckle, "He is my adoptive father for crying out loud! Plus, he is open to other opinions. I think he'll at least consider it."

Lucas shrugged, "You have good intentions, but you have one problem. How are you going to talk to him within a matter of four days?"

Shoot, I hadn't thought about that. The Dauntless center is about a three hour train ride.

"I'll figure something out."

Lucas nodded as we entered the cafeteria.

"Adelaide!"

I turned to my right to see Lauren running up to me in somewhat bright spirit. However, I was not impressed with the stunt she pulled on me yesterday.

"Yes?"

"I-uh, I wanted to apologize for my actions yesterday. I did not mean to hurt your feelings in anyway or accuse you of anything."

I stared at her for a little bit, debating on whether I should believe her or not.

"I'm going to forgive you this once. However, if you ever pull another stunt like that again, I will not hesitate to make sure you are out of here. Am I clear?"