Chapter Ten- When New Fears Appear

It was now time to start stage two of the initiation process. In the second stage, the initiates would be facing individual fears. It may be a random fear, or it may be a fear they actually have. If it takes more than twenty minutes to finish the simulation, than they will be awoken and can try again the next day.

Since there are three initiate trainers, I would help administer the simulation tests. That way we may be able to finish somewhat faster instead of having people wait until it's supposed to be over.

Before we started, however, Eric and Four wanted me to demonstrate what they may possibly encounter. I agreed since I had to do this countless times when I was training to be a Special Ops officer. The only thing different was that they were placing me in a fear landscape instead of me only doing one fear. It was like a heads up for what was to come in the third stage.

All of the initiates were sitting on benches in a semicircle around a metal chair that sat in the middle of the room. There was a computer next to the chair, along with an arrangement of needles and the serum. A projection screen behind the chair that will be able to show what I am going through to everyone.

"Before we put all of you under a simulation, Adelaide has volunteered to go through a fear landscape to show you an example of what you may go through," Four started. "A fear landscape is when all of her fears will appear as separate events. Although you will not be doing this until stage three of the initiation, it will still give you a sense of what we are looking for as we go along with the process. Just watch quietly and carefully. Take notes if needed."

Four then went over by the computer to make sure everything was hooked up and ready to go.

"Adelaide, make your way over to the chair where Four will set you up," Eric said, keeping a calm and cold exterior.

As I made my way over and sat in the chair, I glanced at Eric. He nodded at me once, which was is nonverbal way of saying 'good luck'.

Four spoke to me as he started setting me up for the simulation.

"You know the rules. Be strong. The serum will kick in in sixty seconds. Good luck," he whispered as he injected the serum into my neck.

I fixed my body comfortably before my eyes got heavy and slowly closed. I'm Ready.

I woke up in a grass field like you would see in Amity. The sun's rays shined onto my face and a cool breeze wisped through, bringing my long, brown hair with it. I closed my eyes and smiled, standing up and enjoying the breeze that came through. However, the moment was soon ruined when a raindrop hit my right cheek. I wiped my face before looking up to see a dark cloud slowly approaching.

Thunderstorm.

I panicked, quickly looking around to see if there was anywhere I could go for shelter. Behind me, I saw what looked to be an abandoned farmhouse. The red paint was chipping, and the tools were swinging back and forth with the wind. There.

A flash of lightning struck down, forcing me out of my trance. I immediately started to run, heavy rain and thunder following close behind. The lightning was striking closer and closer to me, but stopped when I entered the barn. My heart was pounding out of my chest.

Breathe. Calm down, everything will be okay.

The simulation then changed into the training room. In the middle of the room, there was a punching bag hanging from a wooden structure. I walked over to it, studying it closely. The chain the bag was hanging from was rusted and the structure it hung from was chipped. The punching bag itself was yellow and stained with blood from initiate's split knuckles.