Chapter Three- Warming up

"Do you know where his corridor is?" Lucas asked as we wandered through several hallways.

"Maybe it's the one right here that said 'Four' on the door," I suggested, pointing to the door in view.

"Smart ass."

I smiled, knocking on the door lightly. While waiting for Four to allow us in, I quickly straightened out my black, long-sleeved blouse, and pulled up my black, leather leggings I just bought.

"Jeez, you're acting like you're going on a date," Lucas joked.

I gave him a sideways glare before Four slowly opened the door, looking outside only to see the "famous duo". He stayed in the same attire as before, except I could tell he showered because of the strong scent of his body wash that filled my nose. Plus, his hair was wet.

"Hey," he said, pressing his body on the wall to allow us in.

Four had a neat little apartment, even though the condition of the building took it down a notch. In the far right corner, Four had a metal box frame and a simple bed set, along with a little dining area within the same vicinity. And in the far left, there was a living room area with only a couple chairs and a futon-looking thing.

Overall, it was a cozy area with a sketchy, abandoned feeling.

"Cozy place," I said, looking around the area.

"Thanks," he said while motioning to the living room.

Lucas and I sat on the futon-looking thing that had a brown cover. In contrast to its looks, it was extremely squishy and comfortable.

"Would you guys like anything to drink? I have Corona, water, and apple juice," Four asked, his head peeking out from his fridge.

"We'll both have Coronas," Lucas said, already knowing my love for the beer. Quite frankly, it is the only beer I will drink.

Four came in with two open Coronas in one hand. He set them down on the little coffee table in front of us.

"Here, I'll go get the food," Four said, rushing back to the kitchen to bring out the Dauntless favorite: the hamburger.

"Thank you si-. Four," I said, correcting myself only to receive a little smile from him.

We enjoyed our meal in silence until Lucas cleared his throat.

"So, Four," Lucas said after a little while, "tell us about yourself."

Four eyed Lucas, "What do you want to know?"

"Anything."

Four half-smiled, "I'm 24 years of age. When I am not training, I'm in the control room."

I nodded, "Where does your nickname come from?"

Four smiled, "That's a secret."

After that, we just became silent. During that time, we all finished eating. Four took away our plates after we finished eating and quickly came back, looking somewhat eager to speak.

"So, Adelaide, I'm guessing you heard about the new regulations?" He asked unsurely.

I shook my head, "No. What new regulations?"

Four sighed, "The rankings are now set up based on a point system. The initiates can earn these points through fights, practicing on their own, and training as a whole. At the end of the training phase, if you are below the red line, then you become Factionless."

I sat there in shock. Why in the hell would they do that? Aren't we supposed to prevent that?

"Couldn't they showcase their skills within the political level of Dauntless instead of being Factionless?" I asked, deeply concerned for some of the initiates.