Chapter Eight- Capture the Flag and An Unfortunate Event

The train engine roared as we passed the Dauntless compound to an unknown location. The car was lightly dimmed and held all of the initiates. It was like we were a tin of sardines except the tin was a train car.

"It is a Dauntless tradition to do a major challenge before the final initiate testing. Tonight, we will be playing a game similar to Capture the Flag. These are the weapons of choice that will help you lead your team to victory," Eric states, passing around guns to everyone.

"You call that a gun? Doesn't look like much," Molly said, studying the gun that Eric held in his right hand.

Eric smiled before pointing the gun right at Molly's thigh and shooting what looked to be a dart. She screamed in pain and fell to the ground, holding her thigh.

Eric pulled the dart out of her thigh, "This is a neurostim dart. It is designed to imitate what an actual gunshot would feel like for a couple seconds. And it will hurt, badly."

He looked around to make sure everyone had a gun.

"Alright, we will split into two teams. First, we will pick our overseers, in which are Adelaide and Lucas. They will only administer the challenge and help planning wise. So, do not shoot them, because if you do, I will let them shoot you. Four, your pick."

Four smiled, "I want Adelaide."

Pushing my way through the initiates to stand by Four, I couldn't help but notice Eric tense up a little bit. It didn't look like he was too happy with Four. Then again, when was he ever happy with Four?

"That means that my team will be looked over by Lucas."

Trudging by me, Lucas made his way over to Eric. We were so going to kick their asses.

"Good luck," I said to Lucas, offering up an innocent act of sportsmanship.

He smiled, "And to you too. You'll need all you can muster up since we are going to demolish you."

A lot of 'oo's' sounded throughout the train car. That cocky bastard.

I smiled and looked right at him, "I wouldn't get too cocky if I were you. I believe that Four is a grand leader."

Lucas huffed, "We'll see."

Eric smiled, "Looks like we got some fire going on. Moving on, let's start out with choosing initiates. I'll take Peter."

"I'll take the Stiff," Four said, motioning to Tris.

"Ah, picking all the initiates that are slow so you have someone to blame," Eric taunted.

"Something like that."

After picking a diverse team, Four led us to jump out first. I followed right behind them. Four led everyone to the abandoned Ferris Wheel, where we were supposed to strategize and figure out where the flag should be put.

"Alright, let's figure out where we should put this first," Four said, taking out a bright, neon yellow flag out from his back pocket.

"I think we should hang it from the Ferris Wheel," one of the Dauntless born initiates said.

Christina shook her head, "That's too easy. Look, I think..."

As they kept arguing, I noticed Tris running toward the Ferris Wheel with a plan in mind. It looked like Four had noticed too and ran over to accompany her, leaving me to deal with a bunch of screaming teenagers.

"Listen up!" I shouted, sounding like Eric on a bad day. "Sitting here and arguing is not going to get you guys anywhere. One of you needs to take charge and submit a battle plan that would only need a few tweaks. So instead of bickering, contribute ideas."