Chapter Twenty-Four- Nothing With Inflection

"Peter!"

"Lukas!"

"Uriah!"

"Albert!"

"Christina!"

"Molly!"

Name after name was called into either Four's, Lucas's, or my simulation office, ready to face what they feared the most. And all I had to do was watch them on a computer screen and be there for them when they woke up from their nightmare.

I had watched Uriah and Molly go through their simulations so far. Uriah did fairly well, getting through it at a more than quick pace. I wasn't going to say that he was Divergent, but I kept it in mind.

Molly, however, was not panning out well. I would say she was one of the more vulnerable initiates that we've had in a fear sense. However, I felt a little sorrow for her. Reason why I say that is because her last and worst fear happened to deal with her family past.

She would be in a black interrogation room with only one light bulb hanging from the ceiling. Aimlessly looking around, she would see nothing but the black walls. A couple seconds into the fear, voices would suddenly start to be audible, gradually becoming louder. Through the speakers it sounded like muffled words as if someone was talking while having a rag stuffed in their mouth. It seemed that she knew what they were saying, since she would cry out, which was a rare sight, and curl up into the fetal position.

I didn't press to ask her what was going on. I didn't know what it was like to not have good family ties, so it wasn't my place to act like I knew what was best for her. Because honestly, I didn't.

Once Molly had calmed down from waking up, she left without a single word, not taking a glance at me.

Poor girl.

After that the morning went by pretty slowly, each simulation I watched taking about ten to fifteen minutes. Most of them were some of the pretty basic ones, such as drowning, being alone, spiders, and bugs. However, there were some interesting ones, one of them being afraid of acid rain from Will. I wondered how he developed that fear.

I was monitoring Marlene, one of the Dauntless borns that I believed was one of Uriah's close friends, when I heard Four call out the last name.

"Tris!"

My ears perked up once her one syllable name was called out.

'When you hear Tris's name called out by Four, click on the icon to the second monitor and watch how he interacts with her. That should give you the answers you need.'

Eric's words ran through my brain before I clicked on the shortcut icon, in which quickly opened the second monitor. I minimized the screen and put it next to the simulation screen, where Marlene was trying to get the attention of her friends.

At first it didn't seem like anything was going on. Tris made herself comfortable in the metal chair as Four took the syringe and injected the odd colored liquid into the side of her neck. However, apparently she wasn't going to be the only one in the simulation. Four managed to squeeze his built up frame next to hers, Tris quickly injecting him with the serum before she passed out. He quickly got himself ready for the simulation before falling into the same trance as hers.

After both seemed to be sucked into the simulation, nothing happened bodywise. It wasn't until I looked closer to the screen when I realized something.

They were holding hands.

At first I thought well, this may just be a friendly thing. You know, he was helping her out, and maybe even wanted to comfort her. However the more I thought about it, the more I realized that something else was going on. How? Well, for one, Four wasn't really the socialite amongst his initiates. Another thing was that Four also wasn't a touchy-touchy person. He was only somewhat like that around me when we were alone. And even that was sometimes rare, because most of the time we would both sit on my couch and drink coffee before we went about with our own duties. I wasn't going to accuse him of cheating or anything like that. I wanted to hear his side of the story before I made any accusation.

"How did I do, 'popper'?" I hears Marlene say from the chair.

I looked over at the first monitor, closing the second screen, "Your time was 13 minutes and 43 seconds. You're definitely showing progress. If I were you, I would try to aim for 10 minutes."

I turned around to see a smiling Marlene, "That's good. I will see you tomorrow."

I smiled and nodded, watching her leave before focusing my eyes back onto the second monitor after saving Marlene's time into a spreadsheet.

Once I opened the second screen, all I saw was Tris reaching out to give him a light hug before exiting through the back door. I sighed, shutting down the computer and leaving the room, not wanting to deal with the situation at the moment.

Walking down countless bland hallways, there was something I wanted to know. What was going on between Four and Tris? And why was Four so focused on helping her? So many questions were running through my head.

And I wanted answers.