Chapter Six- The Afternoon of Station Day

"You're one of them?" Eric asked snidely. I could tell that he wasn't fond of Amity-folk.

"I was a baby at the time," I stated. "All I know is that my father was the Amity leader, and was shot and killed by the Dauntless rogue unit that led the massacre. I was retrieved by the Dauntless leader of the rescue team, Sam Quinlin, that came to capture the rogue unit and interrogate them. Seeing that there was no one that could take me, he talked to some people and bent the rules in order to adopt me."

"How did you find out about your real parents?" Four asked curiously.

"My adoptive father told me when I was thirteen. He showed me pictures and took me to where I lived for a short amount of time before they were mutilated."

"Wouldn't that have made you hate Dauntless?"

I shrugged, "Maybe it should have. But, I guess I wanted to be in Dauntless to make sure those kinds of people didn't come in or do something like that ever again."

"It must be tough to know your parents didn't see you grow up," Max said as if expecting a certain answer.

I shrugged, " Of course, but I know that they are proud of me no matter what."

Lucas smiled, "They definitely should be."

Riiing!

The bell sounded through the hall, startling me slightly.

"Let's finish these three hours of training!" Lucas yelled, patting me on the back.

I smiled at Lucas's sudden bright nature. Whenever I had to explain something along the lines of my adoption or my parent's unlawful killing, he always knew how to change the mood of the situation. Now I just had to get through the rest of the day, and everything will be just fine.

~

The last thirty minutes of training came around in a flash. My group was at the knife targets, while Eric's was at the sparring rings and Four's went to the shooting range to shoot at moving targets.

I glanced over my shoulder to see Molly and Christina sparring against one another. Let's just say that it was definitely going to end in blood and bruises right from the get go. In a matter of seconds Christina was on the ground, blood dripping from her nose, and literally crawling to save her life.

"Stop! Stop! I'm done," she cried out, putting her left hand up to block her face.

Eric took notice of the cries, and certainly did not look pleased with it.

"You're done?" He asked in a cold tone.

Christina nodded in return.

"Alright, everyone follow me!"

I didn't know where this was going, but I could tell this was not going to be a cakewalk. The two groups present were led down the tunnel in which brought us to the Chasm. Once Eric and Christina reached the middle of the bridge, he pushed her to the side and grabbed her arm, making her hang on the edge.

"You have three options: hang there for as long as I want and I forgive your cowardice, give up and become Factionless, or let go," Eric said, letting go of Christina's hand and setting a timer on his watch.

A painful face spread across Christina's face, showing that she was struggling to hang on.

"Come on Christina!" Albert encouraged.

Right when he said that, a splash of water from the bottom of the Chasm hit her, making her grip slip.

"Adelaide! Couldn't you do something?" Tris asked me in a worried tone.

I shook my head and whispered, "I can't. I may be of higher ranking, but here, I'm just a trainer. I can't go against Eric's wishes. But, I can do this."

I pushed my way through the initiates and stood next to where Christina was hanging. She was barely holding on now.

"What are you doing?" Eric asked in a confused tone.

I sighed and sat down beside her. I leaped down in a quick motion and hung beside her, placing my arms at a ninety degree angle.

She looked over at me weakly, "What are you-"

"You fall, I fall. You give up, I give up. You pass, I pass. What is it going to be?" I said, trying to encourage her to stay afloat.

A strangled grunt sound passed her lips. Looking at my form, she attempted to get a stronger grip and copy my formation. I looked up to be met with Eric's cold, long stare.

"Come on Christina!" Tris yelled, but shrunk back when seeing Eric's cold gaze pelt her.

Beeep!

The sound of Eric's watch sounded throughout the Chasm. Time was up.

"Time!" Eric shouted.

Pushing him out of the way, Will, Albert, and Tris immediately went to help pull Christina up. I took the liberty to pull myself up and sat next to them, seeing Christina hiding within Will's chest.

"Let that be a lesson to all of you," Eric said. "If any of you try to pull a stunt like that ever again, the consequences will be much worse. Your training is done for the day. Adelaide, a word."

Both Eric and I excuse ourselves from the scene before up, heading toward the training room. Just as we were about to enter, Eric roughly pushed me up against the wall, his cold eyes giving me a shiver.

"What the hell was that all about?!" Eric asked, certainly not pleased at all.

"I encouraged her to hold on. Is that a problem?"

"This lesson was supposed to show HER to not submit to cowardice. Only her."

"Than why didn't you stop me?" I questioned.

"I was merely curious to see what would happen. Next time, do not interfere with any of my punishments, do you understand?"

I let out an angry sigh, "Yes, Eric."

"Good."

"You are fairly bipolar." I said to him as he walked away.

He turned toward me, "What?"

"At first, you are a complete dick to me, than you invite me into your home and act all warm, and now you want to be an asshole again? What is your problem?"

"It is not my liberty to explain myself to you," he said stomping in a pissed mood.

Turning around I headed straight for the initiate's corridors, hoping to see Christina. I arrived to see Four exiting the corridor.

"You like to push Eric's buttons, don't you?" Four said in an amused tone.

"News travels fast, doesn't it," I said, walking toward the door.

"You bring out the somewhat caring part in him. I think it scaring him."

I smiled and said to him, "And I won't stop."

I entered through the door, being met by empty bunk beds. It wasn't until I fully stepped in that I saw Christina on her bed with Tris, along with Will and Albert helping to comfort her.

Christina noticed me first, "Why did you do that?"

I shook my head, "You needed it. That exercise brought out the strength you have."

Christina smiled, "Thank you."

I nodded, "Just keep out of trouble next time, okay?"

"Yes ma'am."