Chapter Twelve- Invitation

Four and I decided to hang out at the bar instead of going back to the hall to eat. Since I wasn't too hungry, we just ordered a basket of chicken wings and fries, along with our favorite drinks. For most of the time we had a friendly conversation, talking about bits and pieces of our past lives and how we grew up.

"So, do you really think that your father will give you his position when he retires?" Four asked.

I shrugged, "I think so. However, even though he can appoint me the job easily, I would rather go through the training process and earn it. I don't want to be promoted because my father had the authority to."

"What kind of processes would you go through?"

"I would have to do decision making skills tests, interviews, and other skills process. I think the fear simulation would be in it as one of the tests as well."

"I think you would do really well as being the leader of our faction. You would definitely know what is best for us."

I looked at him with a concerned look, "Do you disagree with some of the rules?"

Four smiled, "There are some concepts that I am not too keen on, but if they serve a purpose, than so be it."

I nodded as I took a bite of my chicken wing I dipped in ranch. It tasted damn good.

"Oh, before I forget, Eric said he needed to converse with you about something when you were stable."

"Why?" I asked, feeling a drop of ranch hang out by the corner of my mouth.

Four chuckled as he wiped away the dribble and licked it off of his finger, "I don't know what it is about, but he seemed fairly urgent about the matter, so you may want to see him as soon as possible."

I sighed, "Alright. I probably need to apologize to him anyway for walking out like that."

Four's gaze locked with mine for a couple seconds before he broke it by taking a drink of his whiskey. A light blush came over my cheeks as I drank some of my Cosmo. Damn his comfort.

Four and I lingered around the bar for a little while longer, drinking the rest of our alcoholic beverages. Let's just say, Four gets really open about his feelings when he is drunk. In fact, he got so drunk that in the end I had to help him back to his apartment. I struggled to support his weight, but eventually got to his front door. I opened the door, leading his drunken self to his bed, and set him down.

"Adelaide? Can you take my shirt off for me? I'm too tired," Four said in a breathy voice.

My breathing became short.

Well, what's the worst that could happen?

My fingertips wrapped around the hem of his shirt and pulled it over his head. My breathing hitched as i caught sight of his well sculpted abdomen. After I was done drooling, I couldn't help but change my view to see the tattoos he had on his back. He had the symbols for the factions trailing his spine in the middle of what seemed to be a branching effect. It was quite beautiful to be honest.

"Alright, time to sleep," I said to him, pushing him down into a laying position and covering him with a sheet.

I looked over to his alarm clock to see that it was nine o' clock.

"You know," he gruffly stated, "they really look up to you."

When he said 'they', I think he meant the initiates.

I smiled down at him, "I'm glad."

"I look up to you," he said, smiling back at me.

I looked at him dead in the eyes.

"I-ah, I mean it!" he shouted. "You are an amazing woman. You have such a passion for the ways of this faction. That's one of the reasons why I think I am interested in you."

Now I was really floored. Where in the hell did this all come from? However, before I could respond to him, he instantly fell asleep. I smiled as I studied his peaceful features.

"If only you meant that. Goodnight."

That was the last statement before I exited his apartment, making my way over to Eric's.

"I do, Adelaide. I really do."

~

"Come in!" I heard Eric's voice boom, responding to my knocks.

I leisurely walked in and got straight to the point just in case he was in a cruel mood.

"Hi, Eric. I'm sorry to disturb you, but Four told me you wanted to talk to me-"

Once I walked into his living room, i instantly stopped talking. There was Eric, standing in the middle of his living room, drying his light blond hair. In his boxers.

I immediately turned around, blushing madly, "I am so sorry. I hope I didn't disturb you-"

Before I could finish I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist. I looked down to be met by the tattoo that looked like to be some kind of maze. My hand involuntary traced some of the patterns as if trying to solve it.

A deep chuckle sounded by my ear, "I see you like my tattoos."

I nodded, not speaking.

"Are you okay? From this morning?"

I nodded, "I'm sorry about that. I know you were only trying to calm me down."

"Just don't worry me like that ever again, understand?"

A wave of confusion fell through my mind. He was worried?

"What, no answer?" He said, his breath hitting my ear.

I broke from my trance, "Okay."

His hold broke from around my waist, "Good. You can turn around now."

I slowly turned around to see that he was slipping a black tshirt over his head.

"Sit," he said in a more demanding tone.

I complied, sitting in the black, leather couch that sat next to his black loveseat.

"Now, I have a more serious matter to discuss with you."

I nodded, "Go on."

"What do you know about Divergents?"

I shook my head, "Not much. All I know is that they are able to blend into multiple factions, and that they pose a threat to our society. We don't really hear a lot about them, but it's becoming a hot topic at the Special Ops."

Eric nodded, "It has been documented by Erudite that Abnegation has been harboring these Divergents for their own use."

My brows furrowed, "Wouldn't Dauntless be called right away to investigate?"

Eric nodded, "Yes, but since there is no solid proof, there is no case. But Erudite seems to have their own plans on the pate."

"How so?"

"Well, the leader of the faction, Jeanine Matthews, believes that Erudite should be trusted as the rightful leaders of the government. And, she has also raised a way to get rid of Divergents for good."

"How? We don't know if there Divergents within other factions."

Eric nodded, "Jeanine thinks that she has some up with a serum that could put them into a blank state."

I had an uncertain look on my face, "I don't understand how she plans on doing this."

"I cannot give you any more details. But, Jeanine has arranged a dinner between the Erudite and Dauntless officials to promptly show how the serum will work. And it is a plus one affair for leaders, and I have gotten permission to ask you to come. It is a dress up event and is tomorrow. Would you be interested in coming with me?"

A sick feeling started to fester within my stomach. I didn't like the idea at hand, but it would be best to learn more about it.

I ignored the feeling and nodded, "Yes, I would be glad to accompany you."