Chapter Sixteen- An Unneeded Argument and a Special Night

After lunch I decided to head back to my apartment. It was only one o' clock, so I had about five hours to burn away. I looked around my apartment to see if there was anything of interest that could occupy me for a little while. My eyes scanned to the back of the living room where a black, polished bookcase stood.

Why not? I haven't read in a little while.

I walked over to the book case and scanned through the variety of books Lucas and I had collected over the years. We were able to get a permit to be allowed to collect them so that we wouldn't be arrested for possessing property before the war. My fingers grazed upon the bindings as I scanned the bindings. After a minute of searching, a name finally caught my eye.

Edgar Allan Poe.

The white writing on the black binding of the novel shined like the light coming from a flashlight. I grabbed some of my favorites, such as The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Masque of the Red Death, and Cask of Amontillado.

Grabbing these books I made my way over to the new black sofa that was given to us from my father, and set the books down next to me. I grabbed The Raven and started to read, being encompassed by the story line.

Reading burned up about two hours of my time, since I went back and forth, grabbing short stories and poems. It was amazing to think that people from before the war thought of such ideas and were able to translate and write their own story about it. I found that absolutely fascinating.

However as I was reading a book full of short stories by Paul Laurence Dunbar a loud band sounded throughout the apartment. Looking up I saw Lucas stomping in, throwing his jacket and gun belt to the side.

He noticed me on the couch and stood in front of me on the other side of the coffee table.

"Adelaide, we need to talk."

I nodded and closed the book, "Alright."

His arms crossed, "What have you been doing lately?"

"Taking part in some leadership business. They wanted my opinion on a certain matter, even though they didn't really listen to it."

He nodded with a tense jaw, "Okay."

"Why?"

"I overheard Max talking to you about a mission that involves Four."

I nodded.

"Why?"

I shook my head, "I can't tell you."

His face dropped, "You can't tell me?"

I shook my head again, "I'm sorry, I can't."

He huffed, "I guess our partnership doesn't matter anymore? We're never together like we used to. You always end up with either the leaders, Four, or Eric. And now, you can't even tell where you have been?"

"Lucas, I'm not doing this because I don't want you to know. I seriously cannot tell you anything that has been going on."

He sighed, "Okay, I'm sorry."

I smiled a little and reached to touch his arm, "It's okay. I understand."

"I'm not done yet."

My arm fell to my side.

Lucas rubbed his head, "I heard that Four asked you out."

I gave him a confused look, "Yeah, so?"

His voice constricted, "So? You say yes to go out with a guy that you have only met for a couple of weeks, and you say no to me, who has been your partner for almost three years?"