Chapter Twenty-Seven- For the Past Few Days

"Are you nervous?"

"For what?"

"About the final examination for the initiates?"

I took a bite of my chocolate muffin, wondering why I was even eating it. I wasn't really hungry at all.

"I'm nervous for what happens after."

Four nodded, shoving a small piece of his favorite Dauntless cake into his mouth. So much has happened over the past two days, and they weren't the best things that could've happened.

After I had learned Four's secret on being Divergent, both of us decided to spend the rest of the night eating bar food and walking around the compound, just like we always do. It was a great time no doubt, and I think it brought us closer to each other emotionally. However, that was soon over once the clock struck midnight.

I woke up to the sound of Four's urgent knocking and a discouraged Tris. She had been attacked by a group of four, black-masked figures who tried to throw her into the Chasm. I guessed it was because she was doing so well with her training in stage three. They felt threatened, so they wanted to get rid of her.

What surprised me the most was that she identified one as being Albert. I personally never thought that he would do something as bold as killing someone for a better ranking. It was surreal. I wasn't going to get involved with finding who did this, since Four and Zeke were already on that. My only job was to get Tris cleaned up, tend to the wounds she had gotten from fighting for her life, and make sure she had a bed to sleep on. We didn't want her to go back to the dorm because there was a high chance that the kidnappers would have done it again.

"Thanks for letting me stay," Tris said quietly, seeming embarrassed by the fact.

I nodded, "Not a problem. You can stay in Lucas's room tonight. He is right across from my bedroom which is the first door on the right."

I got up and started to head into the kitchen to get her a cold rag to place onto her bruises. Coming back into the room, I noticed that she was over by one of the bookshelves, scanning the books that Lucas and I got a permit to collect over the years. On one of the shelves she was examining, there was a picture of Eros and I at the end. I saw her face scrunch up in confusion as she picked it up by the metal frame and scanned our smiling faces.

"Your curiosity is going to bite you soon," I said, a little playfulness coming out in my voice.

She jumped slightly, "Sorry."

I shook my head, "I don't mind."

She smiled, "Who is he?"

I smiled, looking at the photo, "He was my first partner, and my fiance. He was killed by a rogue sniper who shot him right by his heart."

"I'm so sorr-"

"Don't apologize, it was a little while ago."

Both of us were silent while we continued to stare at the picture of Eros and I. It was the photo we took right after he had proposed to me.

"I'm sorry, for starting that argument between you and Four."

I shook my head, "No, I have some of the blame. It was strictly between Four and I, and I Iet my jealousy take over me."

It was as if a tenseness was finally released from both of us, making the atmosphere a lot more comfortable.

"Well, I'm gonna head off to bed. You might as well too since tomorrow you have simulations. I'll see you tomorrow."