Chapter Fourteen- Sprouting Feelings and a Personal Mission

I sat on Eric's black leather couch, silently enjoying a nice cup of coffee. Before we arrived at the compound last night, I apparently passed out on Eric's shoulder. And instead of taking me back to my apartment, he took me to his. I was in my regular attire: a half shirt and black jogging pants. He had gotten them for me from Lucas when he set me down on his bed to let me sleep. It was six in the morning.

Events from the night before played in my mind like a movie at the cinema. The abhorrent plan, my outrage, my father slapping me... I could still feel the sting from his calloused hand colliding with my skin. That was the first time my father had ever slapped me, let alone listen to my opinion. You see, my father was a man who was willing to accept other people's opinions and try to agree somewhere in the middle. The fact that he treated my opinion as nothing surprised and hurt me.

I didn't notice that Eric was in front of me until he had set down a plate of pancakes in front of me. I thanked him and set my coffee down on the table, picked up my plate of pancakes and started to eat. Eric sat next to me, a cup of coffee in one hand.

"Don't let last night keep you distracted from your work today. No one is allowed to know what happened last night, not even Lucas. Understand?" He questioned in a demanding tone.

I nodded silently and continued eating. I hadn't talked to Eric for the whole morning. It didn't look like it, but I was upset with Eric the most. I was really thinking that under his cold exterior, there was a soft side to him. A vulnerable side that only I could see. However, I guess his cold frame runs pretty far within him, since he's taken a fascination into this study.

And to think that I was attracted for him.

"Adelaide, talk," he commanded, his cold voice covering his tone.

I sighed and shook my head as I set my plate down on his coffee table. There was nothing to say.

"If we are going to play this game, then I have no choice."

He put his coffee mug down onto the table before coming close to me. Once he was a few inches away, he swiftly climbed on top of me, straddled my hips tightly, and grabbed my hands and held them over my head. I was stunned, but did nothing in return. I wasn't in a fighting mood this morning.

"What do you want?"

"I want you to talk. I can tell that you're upset with me. Why?"

"Because I was actually starting to think that there was a nice guy within your cold nature. I guess I was wrong since you enjoy the fact of killing innocent people-"

"Don't you dare try to assume who I am," he said through gritted teeth.

"Sorry I am telling the truth."

Eric exhaled deeply, my nose breathing in a mixture of coffee and chocolate, "Look, you don't understand yet. These Divergents can ruin the society that our ancestors have built for us. Although you presented thinkable points, how do we know they won't turn against us? Think about it. It's your decision on whether you stay with us or not."

I struggled against his grip, "Why am I so important?"

"You hold valuable talent," Eric started. "Your intelligence and advanced skills can help us in the long run. I don't know how yet, but it will."

There was a strange look in his eyes, as if there was something else behind the reason he wanted me with him.

"You're hiding something from me," I said, staring into his blue eyes.

I could hear his breath hitch. Yes, I know how to read people. That's what I was trained to do. Certain body actions meant different things, and I was a master at it.