Chapter Twenty-Three -Understanding

I stood in front of the white door that led to Eric's office with the log in my left hand. As always I just said that there was only slow progress, and that there was nothing I could do about speeding it up. Reason is because Eric for the past few days has been bugging me about speeding up progress. However, it wasn't possible.

I knocked on the door hard, not meaning to be disruptive in any way. Right now I just wanted to get this done and over with so I can go back to my apartment and sleep. Tomorrow I was to help with simulations, and I didn't want to be drowsy while doing so.

"Come in," a voice sounded from the other side, sounding gruff.

I opened the door to see a focused, yet stressed Eric. His hair was fluffed up, probably from stroking it with his fingers. He was focused on whatever paperwork he was doing, since he didn't look up when I came into the office. I could tell that he was focused by the way he held the pen. Although it looked to be that his hand was holding it in a daint matter, he put much more force when pressing it into the paper to create his response. The poor paper was probably screaming silently for mercy.

I strolled up to his desk and took a seat in one of the chairs that was placed in front of his desk. I held the log in the middle of my lap, waiting for him to acknowledge me.

"Give me the log," he said bluntly, still focused on what he was writing.

I complied and set it on his desk. His hand met with mine, lightly stroking the backs of my fingers before gripping the paper between two fingers. I felt a spark travel from the tips of my fingers to the pit of my stomach.

He set down the pen and brought the log into his view, scanning it quickly. He didn't show any emotion as he opened a drawer and shoved it in it, closing it abruptly before forcing his blue eyes to meet my brown ones.

"So Four has hinted toward Tris being Divergent?"

I nodded, "He told me that her time and the way that she gets through her fears have the ability to show the possibility, but it isn't fully capable of supporting the idea yet."

"And what of Four?"

I sighed, "Progress is coming little by little each day. However, today when I started talking about Tris, he became somewhat tense."

"In what way?"

"Like his body language became tense at the idea, as if he didn't want to talk about it."

"Did you have to pry at him to tell you information about her?"

"It took a little while, but I eventually got some information out of him."

"The suspected Divergence of Tris?"

I nodded.

Both of us became silent. I gave him the opportunity to soak up all of the information I told him.

"Do you think that he is trying to help Tris cover her 'Divergence'?"

I shrugged, "It's a possibility."

"Is there anything else?"

I nodded, "He said that there was something that he wanted to tell me."

Eric's eyebrow quirked, "What exactly?"

"I don't know. He said he would tell me when time allows."

"That's it?"

I nodded, "That's it."

Eric and I stayed silent for a good ten minutes, just staring at each other. He looked at me as if he was trying to pry my brain, looking for a loophole in what I was saying.