Episode 6: Regret

2005:

Mikey, Draken, and I exited the hospital in silence after completing our objective. To my surprise, Mitsuya showed up in front of us on his bike.

"Get Pah there tomorrow," Draken ordered.

"No sweat, and I'll get Peh too," Mitsuya announced. "The warehouse near Second work?"

"Alright," Draken answered.

"Aren't you coming?" Mikey asked me.

"No, I'm supposed to meet Katsume later," I apologized. "Sorry, maybe next time."

"Okay," he pouted, as Mitsuya drove off. "See ya," he waved when Mitsuya passed us again.

"See you later, Draken," I waved goodbye.

"Bye," he answered, walking in the opposite direction.

-Backstory-

My life was pretty ordinary, until I turned 9. That was a horrible year. I was just sitting at home with my mom, when she got a call from Shibuya hospital. My dad was killed by a drunk driver.

I don't remember much about the funeral, or much about the time I spent with him before. All I know is that my mother has never been the same since. The woman who was once the happiest person I've known turned into the coldest. She would go to work, then come back to drink all night. My mother wasn't abusive or anything, she just didn't talk or interact with me. All except an occasional 'hi' or 'I'm going out.' This was the main reason that I spent so much time over Mikey's house or just out in general.

Most of the time, she never even noticed that I was ever gone. The one memory of my father that remained was him teaching me how to fight.

"There will always be bad people out in the world, (Y/n)," he used to say. "You need to learn how to protect yourself."

Fighting was the only way to remember my father, so I practiced in my backyard every night, growing stronger and stronger.

-Flashback-

I was sitting under the bridge that I always sat under with Katsume. Unfortunately, I was alone today since she had to stay after school for something. We always came down here since no one else did, but it seems that not all good things last forever.

On this day, a group of five middle school boys approached me.

"Hey little girl," a kid yelled at me.

"Give me your lunch money," another said, holding up a bat.

"Leave me alone, asshole," I growled at them. "You really shouldn't be picking on a 5th year elementary school girl."

"Make me," the kid with the bat asserted.

Without a word, I grabbed the kid's bat and harshly kicked him in his stomach. He dropped to the ground, gasping for air.

"Why you little bitch," he groaned.

Two more guys came after me as I swiftly took them down with an array of kicks and punches. One was able to hit my jaw, but it was pretty weak compared to my punches. The fight only lasted for a minute or two, but it was enough to scare the remaining two away. The three that I beat up followed, leaving me alone in my spot again.

"That was some pretty cool moves for a girl," a short haired blonde declared, moving my way.

"Do you want to get beat up too?" I threatened.