Chapter 16

The Final Rounds Begin

"Thank you everyone for coming to the Hidden Leaf Chuunin Selection Exam!" Lord Hokage announced. "We will now start the main tournament matches. Between the 10 participants who made it through the preliminaries. Please stay and watch until the end!"

"Alright, guys. This is the final test." Genma said. "The area is different but the rules are the same as in the prelims, there are none. You fight until one of you dies or acknowledges defeat. But if I determine that the fight is over.....I'll step in and stop it, you got that?"

Neither one of us said a word, we just stood there. We knew the rules, which meant that there would be no holding back. It's either kill or be killed. And if you didn't want to die, you had better admit defeat if you wanted to live.

"And there's one more thing before we get started, there's something I need to tell you." Genma says as he takes out the tournament roster. "There have been some minor changes to the roster.

'So I'm not fighting Dosu? What? The guy ran off and just quit?' I thought to myself. "So I'll be fighting whoever wins between Shikamaru and Temari."

"Aw man, I don't get to see you fight, Y/N-chan." Naruto said.

"Don't worry, you will." I assured him. "I'll just have to wait until whoever wins between Shikamaru and Temari. And I'm really hoping I get to fight you, Shikamaru."

"Great. As if fighting one girl wasn't bad enough." Shikamaru groaned. "This is so troublesome."

"And what's wrong with fighting a girl?" I asked.

"Well for you to be fighting me, nothing. But as for me, if I beat you, I'll look like a guy who beats on girls. And if I lose, they call me a guy who lost to a girl. So it's basically a lose-lose situation for me."

"Shikamaru, you're such a damn buzz killer." I stated plainly. "Just lighten up and learn to have fun with it."

"Heh, easy for you to say." He replied.

"Now for the first fight, Naruto Uzumaki. Neji Hyuuga." Genma said. "Those two stay here, while the rest of you go to the waiting area."

"Good luck, Naruto." I whispered before leaving.

"Now, the first fight! Begin!" Genma yelled.

To start off the match, Naruto used his Shadow Clone Jutsu to attack. His clones all pulled out kunai knives and rushed forward. But just as they were closing in, Neji moved and got ready for them. Once close enough, Neji moved quickly and instantly eliminated Naruto's clones with no trouble at all. However, this didn't stop Naruto. He quickly summoned about a hundred clones and went after Neji once more.

Neji stood there, waiting like he did before. As he dodged Naruto's clones' attacks, he moved through the clones and aimed for the real Naruto. Amazingly, he made it through and attacked Naruto. But whatever Neji did cause Naruto's entire clone army to just instantly disappear. Not only did the attack made the clones disappear, it caused Naruto to spit up blood. But as Neji held Naruto, it suddenly vanished.

'Hmm, it was a clone all along. Not bad, Naruto.' I thought.

Naruto came from behind with a sneak attack, catching Neji off guard. Just as Naruto aimed a punch at Neji's face, something happened. Instead of connecting, Naruto was sent flying back. Neji just spun around in a circle and sent Naruto back. Then without any warning, Neji rushed forward and started striking Naruto. Neji moved at an incredible speed and soon knocked Naruto back. However, that didn't keep Naruto down for long.