26. Fight Like A Girl

'Is that mutton?'

'Yes, My Lord.'

'Don't like mutton.' Tywin remarked

"I dont like any food that is not dornish." Oberyn corrected. 

"You said he was picky." Tywin remarked. Tyanna shrugged, picking at her salad and bread, Tyon poked at his mutton. 

"It good." Tyon remarked indifferently.

''I'll bring something else.' Arya said quickly keeping her head down as she moved but Tywin spoke up

'Leave it. Are you hungry?' Tywin offered. Tywin's new cup bearer was smart and hard working it seemed. She deserved a reward for her efforts.

'No.' Arya answered.

'Of course you are. Eat.' Oberyn told her.

'I'll eat in the kitchen later, My lord.' Arya offered.

"Prince Oberyn," he corrected reaching out a hand. "Pleasure to meet you little one." Arya stared at his hand but didnt shake it. 

''It's bad manners to refuse a Prince's offer. Sit. Eat.' Tywin instructed so arya sat and ate. 'You're small for your age. I suppose you've been underfed your whole life.''

''I eat a lot. I just don't grow.' Arya corrected, tyanna chuckled.

"Sounds like you when you were little." Tywin remarked.

"Sounds like Tyrion still." Tyanna teased, Tywin chuckled rising up from his seat. Oberyn watched the girl, Arya, she didnt hold herself like staff, like a servent.  Tywin moved around the table looking out the window. 

"'This will be my last war, win or lose.' He remarked.

"You are going to win, daddio." Tyanna assured. "You always win." 

''Have you ever lost before?' arya questioned

''Do you think I'd be in my position if I had lost a war? But this is the one I'll be remembered for. The "war of Five Kings" they're calling it." Arya gripped her knife staring at Tywin she could kill him, she could do it but Oberyn caught her eye, staring at her, Arya hesitated. 

'My legacy will be determined in the coming months. Do you know what legacy means?" Tywin asked turning back to her and she turned back to her plate. Arya shook her head. Tyon stabbed at his plate making more of a mess than actually eating it. "Tyanna?"

''It's what you pass down to your children and your children's children. It's what remains of you when you're gone." Tyanna answered. Tywin nodded. 

"Harren the Black thought this castle would be his legacy. The greatest fortress ever built ... the tallest towers, the strongest walls. The Great Hall had 35 hearths. 35. Can you imagine?' Tywin questioned running a hand over Tyanna's head. ''Look at it now ...' he said with a hint of disgust. 'a blasted ruin. Do you know what happened?' Tywin asked Arya

'Dragons?''

''Yes, dragons happened." Oberyn agreed. "Beautiful beasts."

"Harrenhal was built to withstand an attack from the land. A million men could have marched on these walls and a million men would have been repelled. But an attack from the air with dragon fire ... mm. Harren and all his sons roasted alive within these walls. Aegon Targaryen changed the rules. That's why every child alive still knows his name 300 years after his death.' Tywin told her.

'Aegon and his sisters.' Arya corrected

'Mm?' Tywin questioned.

"Oh come on father," Tyanna declared. "That was the only thing Tyrion and I could talk about, you remember when we asked for dragons for our name day? Saying I wanted to be like Davina." Tyanna remarked. 

"Thats right." Tywin chuckled. 

'It wasn't just Aegon riding his dragon. It was Rhaenys and Visenya, too.' Arya reminded him softly.

'Correct." Tyanna agreed. "We both know women have the real power." She winked at Arya.

'A student of history, are you?' Tywin went on impressed

'Rhaenys rode Meraxes. Visenya rode Vhagar.' Arya told him

'I'm sure I knew that when I was a boy.' Tywin admitted.

"Daemon Targaryen, rode Caraxes." Tyanna added. "He sounded like a fun man, had his mind set on the crown and then on love..." Tywin smiled down at her.

"He was a monster." Arya corrected. "He rebelled against the king, he killed his wife the lady Rhae of runestone, he-''

''Speculations and besides, Robert rebelled against the king, now everyone is rebelling against my nephew. That makes Robb stark a monster, Stannis and Renly as well." Tyanna offered and Arya's face pinched. "If rebelling against the king makes a man a monster in your eyes?" 

"There is a lot that makes a man or woman a monster." Arya corrected. 

"She is a smart girl." Oberyn added. 

'Visenya Targaryen was a great warrior. She had a Valyrian steel sword she called Dark Sister.' Arya went on.

"Do you know who Dark sister belonged to later?" Tyanna questioned and Arya shook her head. "Daemon Targaryen. Your favorite Targaryen just so happens to show many parallels with a monster..." Tyanna mused. 

'Hmm.' Tywin watched her quizzically. 'She's a heroine of yours, I take it?' Arya shrugged poking at her food. 'Aren't most girls more interested in the pretty maidens from the songs? Jonquil with the flowers in her hair?'

'Most girls are idiots.' Arya informed him bluntly and Oberyn chuckled.

"Feisty one." Oberyn remarked.

'Ha! You remind me of my daughters.' Tywin remarked softly. Arya stared back at Tyanna. 

"I can see it." Oberyn agreed. Tyanna rolled her eyes. 

"Cersei did always want to play with the boys." Tyanna agreed.

"Now tyanna trains with the girls, fights like a girl too." Oberyn agreed. 

"Dont mistake that for an insult father, he is complimenting me." Tyanna assured. 

"Everyone should have the skills to protect themselves, it was men that decided that women should be weak. So weak women were made, Lannister's are not weak." Tyanna added.

"No they are not." Tywin agreed kissing her temple before looking back to Arya. 'Where did you learn all this stuff about Visenya and her Valyrian Steel sword?'

'From my father.' Arya answered

'He was a well-read stonemason. Can't say I've ever met a literate stonemason.' Tywin mused

'Have you met many stonemasons, My Lord?' Arya countered

'Careful now, girl. I enjoy you, but be careful.' Tywin warned but Arya kept her stare harsh.

"She's certainly got sass," Oberyn said with a chuckle. "You are sure she isnt Lannister?"

''Take that back to the kitchen. Eat what you want. And, girl.' Tywin said as she got up. 'M'lord. Lowborn girls say "M'lord," not "My Lord." If you're going to pose as a commoner, you should do it properly.''

''My mother served Lady Dustin for many years, My Lord. She taught me how to speak proper ...' Arya corrected stubbornly.

'properly.' Oberyn corrected and Arya gnawed at the inside of her cheek in annoyance. 

"'You're too smart for your own good. Has anyone told you that?'

'Yes.''