Chapter 4- Same time, same place

Chapter 4

"Brother."

Lan Wangji uttered, setting a cup of hot tea beside Lan Xichen's computer. The older jade looked up from his desk with a smile, "Thanks, Wangji."

"You are..." Lan Wangji's gaze fell upon his brother's computer screen, which was showing a picture of a familiar face. Jiang Wanyin? Lan Wangji read the name under the image. The picture was taken at some formal event with participants wearing suits and gowns in the background. The expression on the omega's face mirrored Lan Wangji's current expression as he stood beside a fake flower vase for his photo. "..."

"Oh, I found out who those two omegas were!" Lan Xichen said hastily. "Since they seemed to be the ones running the show behind Shu Lifen, I thought we ought to do our research if we ever have to encounter them again."

"..." Lan Wangji gave a nod.

Lan Xichen smiled and tapped his computer screen. He said, "Although, I didn't expect this. These two omegas are definitely not your average scammers. Why, you should know them, Wangji, or at least, you should know him."

Lan Xichen was referring to the boy on the screen and Lan Wangji seemed confused. Him? He had never known or seen a Jiang Wanyin in his life till now.

Lan Xichen seemed surprised. "Really, Wangji, you don't remember Jiang Wanyin?"

The younger jade stared at him with a blank face.

Lan Xichen sighed, "Wangji, remember Uncle brought up a marriage arrangement for you some years ago? It was with Jiang Wanyin, he's the son of CEO Jiang from Jiang's architecture firm."

Lan Wangji, "..." That did seem to ring a bell. Hmmm.

But one cannot blame him for not remembering. For the marriage had never gone through and Lan Wangji and Jiang Wanyin had never even met each other. But wait, why did the arrangement fall through? Lan Xichen furrowed his eyebrows as he tried to remember. Forgive him, it has been a couple of years and his memories are fuzzy.

A couple of years back, when the two alphas were still residing within the house of Lans, Lan Qiren, their uncle had seemed to come up with a decision on his own. He wanted Wangji to get married.

See, Lan Qiren knew what an antisocial, his nephew, Lan Wangji was. He was not worried about his first nephew, whom he believed would have no trouble finding a wife at any point he wished. (Well, he would prefer it to be sooner than later but at least he did not have to worry about the able part.) However, with his second nephew, he knew it would be a hard and grueling process before any first-class omega would accept his nephew and that cold attitude of his. Sure, Lan Qiren was sure any omega would be satisfied with his nephew's looks but... Perhaps after seeing that poker face expression and impassive attitude of his and realizing that they would have to spend the rest of their life with this humorless alpha, Lan Qiren was afraid they wouldn't be so quick to take up the offer.

Lan Qiren was good friends and business partners with the CEO of the Jiang Crop. That day, the man was going to make the phone call to CEO Jiang about the proposal and talk about the arrangements. He was sure Jiang Fengmian would agree. But the phone call was never made.

Because while Lan Qiren was waiting for someone to pick up the call from the other end, the man was also looking over Jiang Wanyin's portfolio that one of his secretaries had made and he spotted a small piece of information that he had overlooked. It was a small piece of information that had completely flown over his head. He didn't even think to worry about it so he barely thought to check for it. When the person on the line answered, Lan Qiren was already in the action of hanging up. Which he did. So what was the information that Lan Qiren failed to consider and missed?